Digitizing old negatives

Reaction score
I have a lot of old photo negatives which I wish to Digitize and put on Iphoto.

Is there a scanner that does this, can you recommend one that works well with an iMac.

When purchasing a scanner what should I look for.

Also will the digital quality be good enough so that I can dispose of my negatives.

Thanks Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It depends on the quality of the scanner and the software bundled with it. Good software is a key feature believe it or not.
Because negatives are NEVER 100% flat, flatbed scanners coupled with the cheap plastic holders can slightly warp a scan. Think about it, a scanner is designed scan flat sheets of paper. Everything not on that plane will be out of focus.
Being said, I'd never toss my negatives unless they were distroyed. I certainly wouldn't say a flat bed scan captures every detail on the negative.
Sorry for that. I did almost buy a flat bed scanner earlier this year. It was an Epson, I want to say a 520 or something. It was in the $250 range and came with Digital Ice which is a great tool when scanning film. I would stick with Epson or Canon. You also have to realize, you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Actually, it was the Epson V500. It costs $180-$280 depending on where you buy it. Google rating at 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.