running macbook to LCD LG HDTV ... DVI or VGA !?

Reaction score
i was thinking about getting these two items:

ONE. a MINI-DVI to DVI adaptor ($20)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B?fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables&mco=MjMwMjI2

TWO. a dvi to HDMI cable ($12 foot, $30)
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR843LL/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

but then I read some discussions online that VGA may actually be better for the computer input?

anyone ever compare these two methods ?!

I want good quality movie playback and general internet browsing stuff.

no gaming stuff.

would appreciate any guidance before I make the purchase.

THANKS!
;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
I have HDMI on my Sony LCD, and it looks amazing. I have VGA on my Panasonic, it looks fine, probably cause its a smaller screen, 32inch, but its not as crisp. It isnt as sharp around the edges, if you know what I mean.

Go with the HDMI, and dont forget the RCA to 3.5mm Sound cord. You will need that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
Agreed. I use a DVI-HDMI adaptor and a regular HDMI cable (I use the one that I use for my DVD player). Works great; I see no reason why VGA would be better, since it only supports lower resolutions.

Reaction score
Hey there

I had exactly the same problem as you 3 weeks ago i was wonedering what the best solution would be and after I did my research i found out that for best picture the best solution is Mini DVI to DVI and then you should buy the DVI to HDMI and i can promise you this is the best connection you can make.

pay attention that all DVI and HDMI cables are not qually good but i choose to buy the extrememac cable with 24 carat gold endings and i cant be happier

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought HDMI carried AUDIO as well ?!

huh, I don't think I can use TWO inputs at the same time on my TV !

That might be a problem.

before I buy the HDMI stuff, I want to know if in fact, it can carry audio ?

thanks!

-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An HDMI cable can carry BOTH video and audio signals, which is why a DVD player can be hooked up with just one HDMI cable.
On the other hand, DVI is video only. Your Macbook has a mini-DVI output, which is used for external displays, but this port does NOT carry audio. For that reason, you will always need two cables coming from your Macbook; one for video, and one for audio.
For audio, you should use your "headphone" jack. Get a cable which has one end as a headphone plug, and the other end is two RCA plugs (that is the red and white ones). You should be all set :)

OP
D
Reaction score
okay, thanks for the advice. next question though, how the heck is everyone hooking up their macs for video and audio to their tv's ?! On mine, a LG Plasma, I can only hook up EITHER HDMI / or a COMPOSTIE connection, etc.

Right now, I have the audio out connector, going to a composite adaptor, into my TV, which in turn feeds the audio to my "ALL IN ONE" type receiver/surround sound.

If I can't get two inputs to work at the same time, uhm, ha, is there another solution ?

is there a dvi to composite adaptor that might work, that I can use for video and audio?

Even when I had an expensive receiver (got flooded in Katrina !); i am pretty sure even on the expensive "REAL" recievers, you still can't use two inputs at once.

Now I am more confused!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure your TV can take more than one input at a time, but I understand that you can't get input from more than one at a time. My TV does not have a DVI port, so I wondered as well. When I plug in my HDMI cable, somehow my TV "knows better" and displays the message "For DVI input, use audio for video-3". Video-3 is a composite input, and I have my Wii plugged in there, so whenever I want the audio from my laptop, I have to unhook my Wii's audio and plug in my laptop's audio.

Note that composite has 5 cables; RGB and left and right speakers. For that reason, a DVI to composite comes into the same problem as with using HDMI, which is to say, DVI doesn't carry audio.

Maybe you can try feeding your audio directly into the all in one?

Are you able to get the video working? If yes, crank up the volume on your Macbook and try plugging it's audio into the different audio ports (ie, the different composite ports). Maybe one will work :)

OP
D
Reaction score
I CALLED APPLE, and I got the right answer ... ! I will share !

I have to use VGA, at least with my setup.

There is an RGB/VGA port on my TV, with a MINI AUDIO adaptor on top of the port.

the circuitry here combines the video and audio.

therefore, I bought the MINI DVI to VGA adaptor, and will get a VGA and Audio cable similiar to this, at a much much cheaper than HDMI http://cgi.ebay.com/25FT-SVGA-VGA-M-M-3x-Shielded-Monitor-Cable-w-AUDIO-25_W0QQitemZ170246508768QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

According to the APPLE tech rep, who is one of the main techs apparently for this type of thing, the monitor (TV) will actually work better with the VGA input from a Computer, as it is "set" to "pixelate" (don't quote me on that term !!) so, for $50, i got my solution!

THANKS VERY MUCH to everyone who has responded! :Cool:

-Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.