• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Looking to capture

Reaction score
Hi
First post here:

What is the best way about doing a video and capturing what is on my screen? I am using my trusty macbook currently

thanks
jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Jason,

Not sure about videos, but Cmd-shift-3 will capture your entire screen and Cmd-shift-4 will give you crosshairs to capture whatever part of your screen you want to capture. Both give you a .png picture on your desktop.

Welcome to the forum!

Noel

OP
O
Reaction score
Noel,
Thank you for the info, I am trying to set up a presentation where I would be commenting and going through a few steps on my screen and will have to go to a few websites, do you know if I can do that with the current set up or do I have to look for software ?
Jason

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Buy Snapz Pro X, its only a few pounds but suits your needs perfectly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.6 dual core duo, 2 gb ram, 200 gb 7200 rpm hd, running Leopard
If you are looking to capture video of your screen as you perform specific actions, run a Google search for "video screen capture". You'll get a bunch of links to various programs that have free trials. Be warned though that these will most likely have a time limit and may leave a watermark on the video unless you purchase the full version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
You can use iMovie for this, I think. Just record with iSight as source.

OP
O
Reaction score
appreciate the info

Thank you for the info, I will be trying out the snap z for 15 days and a few others to see what my best option will be
thanks again
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.