I have no idea how serious this is

R

Rob Chase

OK..so lately my internet connection has been terrible...on and off, I don't know whether it is due to the connection itself or my computer. The thing that worries me though is when the screen gets a dark grey mask and everything freezes up and it tells me to restart my computer manually in like 4 different languages...It usually occurs soon after I restart or try to use an internet based app...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Thats a kernal panic....not good
I have had a mac for 17 months without a single kernal panic. If you are getting them repeatedly you probably have a logic board problem so I would get in contact with apple

Reaction score
What's with all these "logic board" problems. It's stupid that you have to pay to get it fixed if they shipped you a defect machine. It's making me not wanna get a mac!!! Anyways, instead of bringing it to apple, can you ship it to them and they will pay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Where did I say that he has to pay for it? If he is still under his warranty period or has apple care's extended warranty he won't have to pay a dime for it

OP
D

Danster

sometimes when i put my imac to sleep it takes ages to wake up then when it does it's logged out then when i log in it tells me to restart any idea whats happinging i dont get them frequently but they have happend quite a lot about 5-6 time since the 1 1/2 months i have had it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Rob Chase said:
OK..so lately my internet connection has been terrible...on and off, I don't know whether it is due to the connection itself or my computer. The thing that worries me though is when the screen gets a dark grey mask and everything freezes up and it tells me to restart my computer manually in like 4 different languages...It usually occurs soon after I restart or try to use an internet based app...any help would be greatly appreciated.
kernel panics are rare, and not good. what os are you running? does happen only when performing specific tasks or running certain apps? I would say to try repairing permissions booted from panther install disk 1, and while youre there, use disk first aid and then zap the pram before accepting it as a logic board problem, though thats what it sounds like, if you can bypass taking it in, do so.
also, since this started, have you installed any new hardware or software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Danster said:
sometimes when i put my imac to sleep it takes ages to wake up then when it does it's logged out then when i log in it tells me to restart any idea whats happinging i dont get them frequently but they have happend quite a lot about 5-6 time since the 1 1/2 months i have had it
try what I mentioned in reply to rob chase, also, try using an app like preferential treatment to check for corrupt preferences, also, make sure in energy saver settings, if 'put hd to sleep' is checked, if it is, it may be causing part of the probem. also, delete the login window preferences, its hd>users>your username>
library>preferences>com.apple.loginwindow.plist. delete that, restart and try to see what happens.

Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
Where did I say that he has to pay for it? If he is still under his warranty period or has apple care's extended warranty he won't have to pay a dime for it
I hear people on these forums, and on others, talking about getting a logicboard problem. (usuassly iBook) and having to pay for repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Many iBook G3 systems had a defective logic board. Repairs for this problem are free, under an Apple warranty extension
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

This, however, did not cause kernel panics.

The most common cause of repeated random kernel panics is defective memory. Usually, bad memory will be relplaced by the company that sold it.

Defective logic boards can also cause kernel panics, as can defective hardware or bad kernel extensions (kexts) such as drivers. A bad modem or ethernet card, or bad driver for the modem or ethernet interface could cause kernel panics while using the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
technologist said:
Many iBook G3 systems had a defective logic board. Repairs for this problem are free, under an Apple warranty extension
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

This, however, did not cause kernel panics.

The most common cause of repeated random kernel panics is defective memory. Usually, bad memory will be relplaced by the company that sold it.

Defective logic boards can also cause kernel panics, as can defective hardware or bad kernel extensions (kexts) such as drivers. A bad modem or ethernet card, or bad driver for the modem or ethernet interface could cause kernel panics while using the internet.
this is why I asked about any recently installed hardware/software. newly installed drivers could easily cause extension conflicts, and as far as new hardware, unless hes replaced a major part of the computer recently, ram is a more easily attainable cause for these kernel panics.

OP
R

Rob Chase

I installed new ram a few months ago, but it is a more recent problem....Should I contact the company?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
The only times I've ever had a kernel panic is when I made them happen. By accident of course, don't try clicking "sleep" from the apple menu and turning off your mouse (if you have a wireless mouse) at the same time. It seems if you try waking the computer after that, the fan goes into overdrive and the system crashes. Weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rob Chase said:
I installed new ram a few months ago, but it is a more recent problem....Should I contact the company?
where did you get the ram from? what brand is it? give us some info on it, it could have just gone bad, or come bad when you got it, did the kernel panics start within a certain period of time after installing it?

OP
D

Danster

You should charge a fee for all this expert advise macman

but that's what a windows forums would do

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Danster said:
You should charge a fee for all this expert advise macman

but that's what a windows forums would do

;)
thanks, that is what a windows forum would do. but were mac users, and its a group effort, not just me.

OP
R

Rob Chase

Yes thank you for all the help by the way...It was Kingston ram, bought from Best Buy and pretty cheap..I got two 512 sticks. I didn't have a problem with the kernels until a few months later however. The only thing I thought was a little weird was the amount of improvement, I kind of figured adding that much would be more noticeable..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it also depends on your processor speed, one of the sticks may have been bad, I try to stay away from bestbuy for computer related products, compusa is trustworthy, best buy is run by incompetent boobs.

OP
R

Rob Chase

Yeah...I guess deep down I knew better...Is there any way to figure out which is bad without removal?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.