G4 Dual 867 Mhz 2gb Ram--display Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1GHZ 1 GB sdram 40 GB HD OS X LEOPARD
I just bought an Apple 17" flat display. It is the one that has the acrylic case. I connected it to the back of the mac and it seems that when I turn on the monitor the fans are working harder and louder. What can it be and how can I fix this? By the way I'm not too mac savy. Please someone help. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it the display is an Apple 17" LCD with Apple Direct Connect (ADC)? If so and connected to the standard ATI Radeon 9000 Graphics Card with ADC, you should not have to actually turn the display on ~ should start up as the computer boots.

Check the correct connections are hooked up as ADC and DVI look pretty similar.

OP
murdocity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked and it is plugged in correctly, but I turned the computer on and I opened the side to see where the noise was coming from and it looks like its the power supply fans, the power supply that I have is 400w max. Could it be that I have to get a power supply with more watts or should I just get an LCD that has its own independent power supply? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it an Apple Direct Connect LCD or a DVI? DVI requires a power supply but the ADC will get power and USB to unit from the one cable? The 400w will be ample as I take it the computer is a MDD model.

OP
murdocity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is a direct connect monitor. I tried connecting a different monitor but I get the same result. The noise is loud, do you think if I upgraded to a better video card it would solve my problem. I currently have the Nvidia GeForce4 MX 32mb with the dvi and adc connectors. thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps see if you can get another display working as video cards are not cheap. If you are running Leopard the current card will not be Core Image compatible, and maybe not even Quartz compatible.

Is it the fans on the power supply, processor or actual fan unit on the video card howling? If someone you know in a Mac User Group or such has a card without a fan unit, such as an ATI Radeon 9200/9600 that may help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Is there an outside chance the video card has a fan on it and may be dirty making things run hotter? How about hitting the power supply with some condensed air to clean it out as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.