moving everything from my old imac to my new one.

M

machag

I've got a nice shiny new imac. Whats the best way to move all my apps, photos, movies, games etc over from my old one? I have an external hard drive to ease the process but is there actually an easy way to do it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've got a nice shiny new imac. Whats the best way to move all my apps, photos, movies, games etc over from my old one? I have an external hard drive to ease the process but is there actually an easy way to do it?

Yes, via ethernet cable, preferably through a switch (a kind of hub), but it can be done directly. Connect your two Macs, boot 'em up, go to Sys Prefs > Network and see if your older iMac has been recognised and/or mounted on your new iMac desktop.

There are also programs to assist but all the names and instructions are with my other Mac. Someone else will advise you further.

OP
M

machag

Thanks so much. Thats a great start. Any further help from anyone would be amazing. Or just to be pointed towards an appropriate guide in another forum or site?

Reaction score
If you can, boot your old mac in target mode (hold down 't' on boot).

Connect it via firewire to your new mac. Goto 'Applications -> Utilities ->
Migration Assistant' and follow the instructions :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.