My Imac is running painfully slow

T

thegrateful

We recently purchased a new imac it is running os x and has 256 mb ddr sdram and a 1.25 ghz power pc g4. The computer has been running slow since the first day. Very laggy, it takes forever to open programs and it crawls on the internet and i have cable. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I am about ready to freak out.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Well...this MAY be your lack of Ram(I've personally never ran a system with 256 MB, but they do so at the apple stores..and I concur...they DO LAG!!!) I SERIOUSLY suggest upgrading to at least 512 MB.

Although regardless of the cause of this, you should upgrade your ram, I'm still not entirely sure that it's your ram... If you close all apps...Just leave Finder Up...(That was a kinda pointless statement ;) ) Are things still laggy?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you only has 256 mb of memory, I would increase it. Your system would run better if you da a minimum of 512mb of memory.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looks like I just repeating the same thing as ApplejustWorks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Then I would say give Apple a Call.. Even with the 256 MB, it really shouldnt be laggy with everything closed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.