quicksilver 867 mhz...memory problems...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
hi

I have a G4 with 512 mem and an 867mhz proc

model M8493

it is the model before 2002, non firewire model, the first in the quicksilver line....

I bought two 512 sticks, and put them in to take the memory to 1.5 gig

but...the computer says to restart after it is running fine for about 30 mins....

so 30 mins ok, then screen tells me to restart

it is pc133 mem, non parity,

it didnt say for mac, but I thought that memory was pc or mac compatible....

help, any assitance would be appreciatted!

thanks

al

Reaction score
Hi

I've got the same model of Quicksilver with 1.5GB also. I didn't have a problem upgrading mine to 1.5GB. All my sticks are from the same manufacturer (Kingston) and they're all 'PC133 - 333' <- which refers to the latency I think.

I'm not sure whether it would have a fit if sticks with mixed latency ratings were added, but I'd assume it would just run as fast as the slowest stick.

It sounds a bit strange that it's running for 30 minutes before crashing though, usually errors caused by the memory can be pretty random. Can you not provoke it to crash sooner by running a memory intensive application?

What I'd do if you haven't already is try running the machine on just one stick at a time, alternating between sticks until you've tried them all. Then if all goes well try two sticks at a time, again making sure all sticks are given a test. If you get no crashes during that time then I don't know ;) But hopefully you can trace it to just one stick that doesn't run well with the others.

You could try getting hold of an Apple 'tech tool' CD or similar to test the memory. I assume you've tried resetting the NVRAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mac memory is generally low density and Mac and PC memory is not compatible at all. What you are experiencing is a kernel panic attack as the new memory begins to fail. Take out the new modules.

Have a look at OWC at www.macsales.com for the correct modules, note the price etc, and search for new modules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a G4 with 512 mem and an 867mhz proc
I bought two 512 sticks, and put them in to take the memory to 1.5 gig ...
it is pc133 mem, non parity, ... it didn't say for mac, but I thought that memory was pc or mac compatible....

Al - read these http://www.macworld.com/article/49374/2006/02/speedmemory.html
Download and run Memtest or Rember
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050524014158525

I say this with respect to harryb, but, for economic reasons, I've used so-called PC RAM, even 2-hand, in a number of older Macs and it's worked fine, as long as it matches the original RAM specs. I agree that OWC is a good place to go for quality advice and products. Make sure matched pairs of RAM are used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Perhaps I should have said if it is identical to Mac memory fine. There are that many different types, hi and low density, EEC and non EEC, CL 2, CL 2.5 and CL 3, single and double sided makes it difficult for users of limited experience.

If you go to OWC at www.macsales.com and find your model in the memory section, it will give the type of memory you need and price, and shop about from there.

Here is a start:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...6&type=Memory&TI=2840&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.