Buy a Mac get a free iPod

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have one big question, Im about to buy a MacBook and I would really like to use this promotion, but the problem is that Im going to college outside the United States so my college is not on the list. Someone told me I could just select whichever college I wanted and thats it. My question is, it that possible? Wont they try to verify this when they recieve my rebate on when I fill up the rebate form? thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your best bet is to phone apple and ask them (you are in the US I presume)

OP
carloscane
Reaction score
Well that is why Im asking. I went to the store and this apple expert just told me to select whichever college and that would work, that they actually dont verify that you are going to college. That is the reason Im asking.

Has anyone used this promotion that can tell me if they were asked for a student ID or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro, 2.5ghz. 4g ram, 512 vid card. 15" screen 250g harddrive
They dont verify. Im about to order a mac and possibly get the free Iphone deal and I just said I go to the local college (gave city and name) and they said okay, heres your discount. :) To be honest I think the education discount is not verified , so they can say "we give discounts to students and are pro school" blah blah blah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
They do indeed check for Student ID. They might not at the time of sale, but they do perform audits on those sales later. I know of two different people who have received bills in the mail, months after they have purchased their computers, asking for payment of the original discount amount when it was determined that they were not students.
Sometimes it's the Apple Store doing the audit, sometimes it's the school.

To clarify on who is and who isn't eligible:
Apple Sales and Refund Policy said:
Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.

Higher Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.

U.S. SALES ONLY
The Apple Store sells and ships products only within the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. No shipments can be made to APO addresses, United States territories, or addresses outside the United States. You may not export any products purchased at the Apple Store.

Bottom line, don't lie about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It does work if you buy in a proper student's name though!

Which college are you going to though? Each country has its own education store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro, 2.5ghz. 4g ram, 512 vid card. 15" screen 250g harddrive
hmm interesting. Oh, well a teacher who works at the scuba shop w/ me is going to buy in his name, and in trade hes going to take the nano

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
If you're not getting the ipod for yourself, getting a refurb macbook is CHEAPER than the ed store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.