G4 CPU upgrade in the UK

Reaction score
Firstly, apologies for yet another G4 upgrade thread :Blushing:

I've recently got myself a G4 Power Mac to replace my dead 12" Powerbook. I've done a few tweeks and I'm happy with the system at the moment, but it could do with a bit more speed. It's current configuration is as follows.

G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz (model 8493)
1.5 GB RAM
Sonnet Tempo SATA card
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB SATA HDD
Pioneer DVD-RW drive
Geforce2 MX
All fans replaced for "silent" ones :)

It's running Leopard and I realise it could do with a new graphics card, but I'm okay keeping my eye on ebay until a used one turns up. What I'd really like to do in the next few days is get a new processor upgrade. But as I'm in the UK there doesn't appear to be many options available.

I don't really want to spend more than £200 and so far I've found the Newertech 1.6Ghz 7447A for £150

http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?cPath=55_57_61&products_id=567

or the Sonnet Encore ST 1.8GHz for £190.

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=289

Neither of these appear to have a particularly big cache and I understand this really helps performance with a G4? I think what I'd really like is the OWC Mercury Extreme but I can find no one that sells this in the UK.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEG42M1500/

I can have the Mercury Extreme shipped to the UK but with shipping and tax it would be around the price as the Sonnet ST 1.8Ghz.

So I'm wondering is it worth the extra hassle (and cost) of getting the Mercury Extreme shipped to the UK, or would either the Newertech and Sonnet processors perform just as well?

The machine is mainly used for email, web, iTunes, iPhoto and using iMovie/iDVD to make movies from camcorder/digital camera footage.

Thanks for reading!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your best bet is to check out OWC, they have plenty of processor upgrades and with the strong pound you will easily get a good card for that money

you could get a 1.8 Ghz and still have change

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...ype=Processor&TI=1756&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

Thanks for the reply! There's almost too much choice there! :D

But I'm worried about VAT and tax if I order from OWC. For example the Sonnet 1.8Ghz works out at about £155 (including shipping) if I order from OWC. Add 17.5% VAT to that and it's up to £174. Plus an unknown customs duty on top of that.

Previously the only items I've had shipped from the United States have been less that £18 in value so exempt from tax, but I'm guessing I'll get stung with this one :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I tried to have a look on the HMRC, but finding clear info on there is not exactly easy

You will likely pay VAT plus a customs duty which may be 3.5%

But if they think your package is suspicious and open it up, they charge you extra, but that is unlikely unless your card looks like a bag of coke or a gun in the x-ray machine

OP
N
Reaction score
But if they think your package is suspicious and open it up, they charge you extra, but that is unlikely unless your card looks like a bag of coke or a gun in the x-ray machine

LOL! :)

Yes I've just had a look myself and I think you're correct with the 3.5% duty.

So unless I find a compelling reason not to buy the Sonnet or Newertech 7447a I'll probably just go with one of those from the UK. As unfortunately Mr. Browns tax makes ordering from OWC only slightly cheaper :Angry-Tongue:

Thanks again for your replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
nugat I used a Mercury Extreme 1.3GHz purchased from OWC and shipped here to Australia. Found it fast and rock solid and the after sales service was fantastic.

Personally prefer the upgrades with 2MB L3 cache. Do a Google search and find speed increases with the L3 cache. Sonnet do not use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.