ATI Radeon 2600XT HDMI audio output ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8-core 2.8
Greetings to everyone.
1st post. :Smirk:

I have a new 8-core Intel Mac Pro 2.8ghz with the ATI Radeon 2600XT graphics card.

This card, in conjunction with the ATI 6141054300G DVI-HDMI adapter, is supposed to route the audio along with the video, thru a single HDMI cable.

I have tried the adapter thru both port 1 and port 2, on several different LCD HDTV's, and so far have yet to hear audio, or see the option to route audio thru HDMI, in the system preferences>sound menu.

I'm sure there's something very simple I have overlooked, and if anyone can help me route the audio (stereo or 5.1) thru the DVI-HDMI adapter, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No DVI connection supports audio- it's a video only connection.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8-core 2.8
^No. It is an HDMI connection, thru the adapter.

ATI's website clearly states that this card can route 5.1 surround sound audio thru HDMI using the ATI DVI-HDMI adapter (6141054300G). Certain ATI cards have extra pins for audio, and the radeon 2600 is listed on ATI's site as one of those cards.

I assume since my Mac Pro came with the 2600XT pre-installed, the software/driver needed to route audio is not currently installed on my Mac.

Or perhaps something else obvious such as this.
I will call Apple and ATI both tommorrow, from work if I have to, but I am so eager to purchase a new LCD HDTV, that I hoped to find an aswer on the web today.

If anyone knows the solution, I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right- it's turning the DVI connection into an HDMI connection. HDMI can handle audio but DVI can't which is why you are not getting sound.
Maybe ATI makes a 2600XT card with a built-in HDMI port?

Or link us to the page that explains how the card and adapter have extra pins for audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look at the ATI page. It describes the card as having 512MB of GDDR3 memory and the HDMI output. The 2600 card that ships with the Mac Pro is only 256MB and has dual DVI ports.

Because DVI supports video only, you will need to run a audio cable as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, what did ATI or Apple say??

Reaction score
Apple's Response to 200XT Audio over HDMI

Apple seems is hard headed on this subject as well. I've submitted multiple bug fix requests to the Apple site regarding this issue. I'd suggest continuously submitting bug fix reports to Apple. Below are their responses:

Message 1 (4/4/08)----->
Engineering has determined that this issue behaves as intended based on the following information:

The 2600XT cards in Mac Pro do not have an HDMI port - it's just DVI.

We consider this issue closed.

Message 2 (5/14/8)------>
Engineering has determined that this issue behaves as intended based on the following information:

We are not seeing HDMI support mentioned in tech spec for MacPro. http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none as of yet
Kinda unrelated but how fast is that mac pro? eight cores wow thats awsome

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I am guessing it is as fast as the software that runs on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.
I would love to do some Maya rendering on that beast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.