• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD camcorder choices and real-world users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
Alright, here goes... I am exploring the purchase of a high-def tapeless camcorder within the next few weeks (preferably one that supports full HD at 1080i, uses flash memory, and is going to be fairly light on my wallet). For those of you out there who own and/or use AVCHD, could I get some real-world commentary and/or tips on models that you've had success with, and any other assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.88, MacBook, G5 iMac
I love my AVCHD camcorder. It is easier to deal with than tape. My Canon's HF100 video quality is excellant. I have yet seen my friend's HDV video off tape because it is hard to carry and play back on removable media. But he has seen mine played back off SDHC off a card reader or off DVDs. You can (if you limit the size of the files,) burn it to standard DVD and play it back on Blue ray players in HD without and major rendering. It is easy to unload, playback and archive.

See additional comment in my post in the thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111081

My main criteria for a HD camcorder is low light performance. I am very pleased with my HF100. My wife wanted size and no tapes.

Check out reviews on: http://www.camcorderinfo.com

Al

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.