• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

performance comparison

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
cool....Why didn't they throw a Dual Processor G5 in there?

I was rather surprised when I looked at the iMac G5 vs. the G5 and the difference was not signifigant in the CPU TEST!

Then I actually looked at the top and read it was a single 1.8 system..

That was a major relief...I didn't just spend double the price of a single 1.8 for nothing did I? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Macintouch doesn't get loaner systems from Apple to review (unlike the major magazines.) They'd actually have to buy a Dual G5 if they wanted to review one. Maybe you could lend them yours :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well, that makes me feel pretty good about getting the ibook G4, it hangs in some categories, not bad for a notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ApplejustWorks said:
cool....Why didn't they throw a Dual Processor G5 in
that is probably also do to the fact that osx doesnt fully utilize dual proccessors
as it should, it still only uses 1 at a time, so it would be like testing a single 1.8ghz g5, and the results are very interesting, Im surprised the emac was such a big competitor. as a desktop, I figured itd outdo laptops, but to push the limit and almost rival the imac g5, thats awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Mac OS X is able to use 2 or more CPUs simultaneously, just as any other UNIX/Linux system is. If an application itself doesn't use both, it's because it hasn't be programmed to do so. An application has to be programmed to use both CPUs at the same time, which most of the big programs in the professional world do since a long time already. Apple is producing dual CPU computer since a while, and applications like for example Photoshop or Logic Audio take full advantage of that ever since.

If the OS would only use one CPU at a time, there wouldn't be any speed difference between a single and a dual CPU system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.