Aren't these two memory sticks the same?

M

McGuillicuddy

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

Throwing caution to the wind I decided to order the cheaper one anyways. I think it should work just fine, but I'll be able to report definitive results in a couple days when I get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle
£25 is quite a difference. but i wish you luck.

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

minus182 said:
£25 is quite a difference. but i wish you luck.

I know! But what could possibly be the difference!! The specs are identical although they don't give you as much information in the Apple-specific listing:

Apple-specific listing: 512MB — DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V •

regular 200-pin SO-Dimm: 512 MB - DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64

The only difference in the listings is the '64 Meg x 64' part. I hope that's not important :).

OP
P

Prometheus

McGuillicuddy said:
I know! But what could possibly be the difference!! The specs are identical although they don't give you as much information in the Apple-specific listing:

Apple-specific listing: 512MB — DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V •

regular 200-pin SO-Dimm: 512 MB - DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR266 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64

The only difference in the listings is the '64 Meg x 64' part. I hope that's not important :).

Let us know how you got on...I'm looking to upgrade my ibook, and I'm guessing if theres £25 difference between the 256mb sticks, it will be the same or bigger difference between the 512mb sticks or even 1gb sticks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle
i'm not an expert in RAM but 64 x 64 sounds weird.

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

Well, here's another thing - when you go to the overall list of PC2100 memory which, if the two sticks were actually different should include both of them, only the non-apple-specific stick is shown.

Also, it appears that the price discrepancy exists ONLY for the 512 MB stick. The 128, 256, and 1GB prices are the same for both listings.

And finally, the apple-specific listings for the 128, 256, and 1GB sticks show '16 x 64', '32 x 64', and '128 x 64' respectively, but '64 x 64' is not shown for the 512 MB apple listing.

I think they're trying to take us for a ride with the 512 MB stick for some reason by charging extra if you buy it using their Memory Finder or whatever you call it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
I'm REALLY not sure, but the 64X64 listing might be the internal arrangement of the RAM block sizes. Serial and parallel accesses do make a difference, but that's something VERY itnernal to the RAM and I dont see why they would put info like that.

as i said, i could be horribly off target here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Umm...Just to add..
those links don't work!
(Come up with page not found error from Crucial)

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Hey, excellent discovery there! I was planning to get only 256MB because the 512MB is such a rip-off at 3x the price of a 256MB for just double the amount of memory! I hope that the cheaper one works for you and if so, then I'll place my order for a 512MB one straight away!

Btw, 200-pin SODIMMS are only for laptops right?

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

I contacted Crucial Customer Service yesterday with this question, and here is a transcript of my online conversation (it reads from the bottom up):

Jennie> You're welcome. Thank you for visiting Crucial.com, and have a
great day.
Doug> right. okay, thanks very much.
Jennie> Just in they way you selected they item you were searching for.
Doug> the more expensive one only comes up when using the memory finder
for an apple ibook G4.
Doug> heh. that's what i expected. any idea why they have two different
prices?
Jennie> They are the same. I would select the cheaper one of the.
Doug> right
Jennie> One moment, please, while I review your inquiry.
Doug> but one costs notably more than the other
Doug> all the specs appear identical
Doug> both are 512 MB PC 2100 200-pin SO-DIMMs
Doug> i'm just wondering what the difference is between these two items:
CT6464X265 and CT372707
Doug> hi there

Jennie> Hello Doug. How can I help you?

So there you have it. Both are the same, but Apple users who use the 'Memory Finder' and may not be tech savvy enough to search the regular listing (nobody here I'm sure :)) get hosed.

OP
B

bograt69

jesus, thats pretty harsh, basically they charge you £25 to tell you what type of ram you need!

suddenly i'm glad i didn't order the dearer stuff as i was going to a couple of weeks ago!

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
this is another reason I stick with OWC:mac:

OP
M

mangoSharingan

bograt69 said:
jesus, thats pretty harsh, basically they charge you £25 to tell you what type of ram you need!

suddenly i'm glad i didn't order the dearer stuff as i was going to a couple of weeks ago!

Mike

SAME HERE! Ok, I think I'm gonna place my order for the 512MB stick now!

OP
B

bograt69

the following is part of an email reply I got from crucial about this...

Thank you for your enquiry. The two codes do refer to the same part. The part number with CT followed by five numbers is the part number specific to your machine, and the other number is our generic part. These parts are compatible with your machine.

Pricing for the various parts fluctuate based upon the current memory market, and upon supply and demand. Just as prices fluctuate often on many commodities, our prices are likely to change regularly as well. But here's a note of comfort, if we can confirm that the lower priced part works for your system, we'll give you the lower of the two prices.

so does this mean that if you order the dearer one they will only charge you the cheaper price?

sounds doubtful to me.....

Mike

OP
M

McGuillicuddy

Yeah, pretty much confirms the conversation with Crucial I posted above.

And for the final word to remove any lingering doubts, I received my RAM yesterday, installed it, and it works perfectly.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I would just like to confirm that I received my RAM today, installed it and it is working perfectly. Thanks to the original poster for the tip! Merry Christmas to you all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.