• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New MAC User, with Video Editing Issue!! HELP!!

YaZ

Reaction score
Hi all, Im a new Mac user, and im loving it !!!
(I hope i dont bore everyone with all the following):

Now, unfortunately for me (and 5 others i know) in Yemen, THERES NOT A MARKET FOR APPLE MAC SOFTWARE!!! (Its flooded with Windows Software)!!!! Which means, apart from my Final Cut Pro software, which was given to me as a gift, I can only have FREEWARE !!!

I previously used to capture all my videos (from my mini dv) into Windows Movie Maker, which used to save a whole dv tape into a maximum 800MB. However with Final Cut Pro, my problem is, when it captures videos, it takes up 90% of the free space on my hard drive (One tape equals 16GB !!!!! Its an ibook G4 and ive only got 18GB free space left).

Friends have told me to get an external Hard Drive for this issue, but SURELY SURELY there must be a program that can capture a whole mini dv tape and squeeze it to a maximum of 1GB !!!

So my questions are :-

1. Is there a freeware video editing program that can do the above mentioned ??
2. What about iMovie,, do i HAVE to have iLife to have iMovie ??
3. Lastly,, if the first 2 answers are NEGATIVE, then is there something in Final Cut Pro (the settings, etc) that can resolve this issue ??

Your HELP!! will be appreciated!!
Cheers,
YaZ !!!

Reaction score
Hi all, Im a new Mac user, and im loving it !!!
(I hope i dont bore everyone with all the following):

Now, unfortunately for me (and 5 others i know) in Yemen, THERES NOT A MARKET FOR APPLE MAC SOFTWARE!!! (Its flooded with Windows Software)!!!! Which means, apart from my Final Cut Pro software, which was given to me as a gift, I can only have FREEWARE !!!

I previously used to capture all my videos (from my mini dv) into Windows Movie Maker, which used to save a whole dv tape into a maximum 800MB. However with Final Cut Pro, my problem is, when it captures videos, it takes up 90% of the free space on my hard drive (One tape equals 16GB !!!!! Its an ibook G4 and ive only got 18GB free space left).

Friends have told me to get an external Hard Drive for this issue, but SURELY SURELY there must be a program that can capture a whole mini dv tape and squeeze it to a maximum of 1GB !!!

So my questions are :-

1. Is there a freeware video editing program that can do the above mentioned ??
2. What about iMovie,, do i HAVE to have iLife to have iMovie ??
3. Lastly,, if the first 2 answers are NEGATIVE, then is there something in Final Cut Pro (the settings, etc) that can resolve this issue ??

Your HELP!! will be appreciated!!
Cheers,
YaZ !!!

iLife is required i believe to have iMovie. And trust me, I refused to buy a portable hard drive but when I got one *a few days ago when I got my new macbook* I was very very satisfied with it. you can get a 250Gig Western Digital for 99 bucks at best buy. And it's pretty small too. But i cant recommend anything else otherwise. Im still having trouble finding editing programs for the mac too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.