Replacing hard drive in iBook g4

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im a newbie to the forum and hoping im asking this question in the right place.

Girl at work needs to upgrade the size of her hard drive. She currently has 40 gig and wants to upgrad to as large a size as possible (im advising 200 - 320 gig). Her iBook is 2 years old and as far as im aware it's a 2.5" ATA connection HDD.

I build my own PC's so have a fair bit of knowledge but have never worked with a Mac or with a laptop.

I have 2 questions

1) Whats the best 2.5" ATA hard drive i can order her? I generally try and stick with the relaible brands for my HDD's - Western Digital/Seagate etc

2) Can anyone post a link to a guide on how to swap a Mac laptop HDD? Im assuming i just need to clone the current HDD to the new one and then physically swap them??? I was gonna use a program like Superduper?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
http://www.ifixit.com/Categories/G4-12-Inch-iBook/83

That link is for the 12" iBook G4, on the left hand side you can also select other notebooks including the 14". Just click free Fixit guide at the bottom of the page. Great step by step instructions.

Hiya rich,

Appreciate the link mate.

Thats exactly what i was looking for - walk through guide to make sure i cant go wrong :)

Don't suppose anybosy can give me a tip about the type of replacement hard drive i should go for?

Cheers
John

Reaction score
I replaced my g3 with a 80gb Samsung and it's very quiet, it's ATA, I bought it from Newegg, California.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I line up the parts as I take them off the iBook. I also lay each section out as if it was in the iBook. I put all the screws in relation to where there are in the iBook. It's a method that can't go wrong with ifixit.
I can't say I've shopped for laptop hard drives but stick with WD or Seagate when it comes to the desktop version. Bought all WD drives in the past year or more and haven't had one fail.

OP
A
Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback guys.

Appreciate it. That walkthrough guide I got linked to will do the job exactly for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.