• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Types of flat screen TVs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I see there's HDTV, Plasma and LCD. What are the differences among them?
Why are some larger screens cheaper than some smaller screens? For example, Best Buy/Circuit City etc, may have a 42" X brand for $750 and then I see a 37" Y brand for $850. Why is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
HDTV isn't a type of flat screen TV, it's simply a technology within TVs, and they don't have to be flat either. HDTV stands for High Definition Television, so pretty much any TV with a 720p or higher resolution can be considered an HDTV.

There are two flat panel types of TVs, plasma and LCD. They're both very good technologies that provide very thin TVs. You can only find plasmas in the larger sizes, whereas you can find LCD TVs in all sizes. Historically, LCD TVs have been more expensive than plasmas, but have come down significantly in price since their introduction, and are about on par with plasma TVs now. There's really not much of a quality difference, though it has been argued that plasmas reproduce better blacks, but it really varies as there are many LCD TVs that also have great black reproduction.

As for the price difference, it could essentially boil down to the type of display (LCD vs. plasma), the features in the display, and the resolution. A smaller screen with a higher resolution costs more to make than a larger screen with a smaller resolution, which is why it costs more.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info Kash. I obviously have no knowledge of these newer digital TVs. I have a 13 year old 25" RCA crt tv that still works great, except that it'll require the digital converter box which I already have. So for the most part I only glance at the new TVs and go about my shopping.

We'll be renting a house at the start of September. My mother-in-law suggested we give our girls the RCA tv with the VCR hookup for their Sesame Street tapes and treat ourselves with a flat screen. Hey, that's a great idea. I figure with our next year's tax return we'll splurge on one. It's still early now, but I wanted to hear some opinions of what to buy.

I'm leaning towards the 37" or 42". Not too big and not too small. Plus the price range on those sizes are between $700-$1000. I noticed the Vizio brand compared to others is lower priced. Do they rate near the bottom? Can anyone give me some positives on this brand?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you are planning to have a game console connected up like an Xbox 360 or a PS3, then look at LCDs.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are planning to have a game console connected up like an Xbox 360 or a PS3, then look at LCDs.

I have a PS2, but I hardly play video games anymore. Is LCD still recommended? It's possible we might buy a Wii for Christmas, though, if we can find one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To be honest, I've used multiple consoles on both plasmas and LCDs and they both look great. Plasma technology has evolved to the point where its response time is just as good as an LCD's, so you don't get that "ghosting" or lag people would experience with earlier models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Vizio makes cheap TV's. Contrast is lower, colors are less vibrant, etc....

To be honest, I've used multiple consoles on both plasmas and LCDs and they both look great. Plasma technology has evolved to the point where its response time is just as good as an LCD's, so you don't get that "ghosting" or lag people would experience with earlier models.

Plasma's are also more prone to burning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.