Update Messed up My Ipod

W

wodie79

This may come off anal, but my favorite feature of my iPod is the smart playlist. Ever since downloading the recent iPod update, my playlists are not smart anymore. For example, I have a "Top 50" playlist that has my 50 most often played songs. When I play anyone of the songs, it does not update on the playlist. I can play a song 5 times and it won't move up the list. When I dock the iPod, iTunes shows the updated list, but when I eject my iPod, it goes back to the incorrect list. The only way I have figured out to fix the problem is deleting the playlist everytime and making a new one. Kind of defeats the purpose huh? Any suggestions? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have you tried resetting the iPod using the updater? Basically reformatting it and starting over. I've found that does trick often times when the iPod gets cranky.

OP
W

wodie79

ok

I don't want to lose all of my music. Unfortunately I do not have all of my files on my hard drive. There is no way to format without losing all of the files is there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
nope, but you can take them off the ipod with a free third party app like ipod browser, or something like it, then reformat.

OP
C

code777

YUP, or podutl will do it. sometimes not all songs can be transferred back to your desk/laptop for some odd reason but it should work.

OP
W

wodie79

Music to Hard drive

Any good suggestions to put my music iPod --> HD? Isn't there a trick by showing hidden files and moving the "music" folder to my desktop?

thanks again.

Also, once I do have all my music on the compter, how do I reformat?
:bomb:

Reaction score
They just told you how to put the music on your computer from the iPod. And you format the iPod by plugging it in, then running iPod updater. Then you just click restore.

OP
W

wodie79

It Didn't work!

Anyway, I went into an Apple store to see if they knew anything about the problem. They told me to do the same thing. So, I backed up the iPod and restored it. I put all my music back on and... it didn't work. The "smart" playlists are still not acting "smart". Time to send it in for a new one I guess.

Unless, is there anything in the settings that is not allowing for live update of the playlists? I don't know...

OP
M

mystro

wodie79 said:
Anyway, I went into an Apple store to see if they knew anything about the problem. They told me to do the same thing. So, I backed up the iPod and restored it. I put all my music back on and... it didn't work. The "smart" playlists are still not acting "smart". Time to send it in for a new one I guess.

Unless, is there anything in the settings that is not allowing for live update of the playlists? I don't know...

Glad you found a solution of sorts..one thing I've learned over the years is to NOT automaticely install so-called updates (except security issues) unless I'm convinced it will significally improve my life :) ...when I have a system that is doing what I want and it's working..I leave it alone,I don't like unpleasent surprises.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.