iMac 20 inch. Graphics Upgrade!???

Reaction score
Is there anyway at all to upgrade a graphics card in an iMac 20 inch.
Just to save money I recently purchased the base 20 inch model that comes
with an ATI graphics card with 128mb of VRAM and I want a bigger better one now (maybe the NVIDiA with 512mb of VRAM. Is there anyway at all to upgrade a graphics card in an iMac. I have always believed/known that the iMac graphics cards are fully integrated... but is there anyway at all to upgrade.. maybe even an external graphics card (not sure if that exists but I'm just using my imagination haha.)

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It is not possible to replace the chip or replace it with an external one.

Why do you want to upgrade though? Unless you're playing games, especially in Windows, there's little disadvantage with the Radeon 2400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've seen external housing with PCI slots. I don't remember them being cheap though. You would also have to buy the graphics card and buy an external monitor if you went that route. ;)
Internally, you're stuck with the card Apple put in there.

Reaction score
It is not possible to replace the chip or replace it with an external one.

Why do you want to upgrade though? Unless you're playing games, especially in Windows, there's little disadvantage with the Radeon 2400.

What do you think will an iMac with 2.66Ghz Processor, 2Gb RAM and ATi Radeon HD2600 Pro (256Mb) handle games that are made for both windows and Mac OSX?

OP
H
Reaction score
I edit on Final Cut Pro and I just couldn't afford a better graphics card. I really do need something better or to get a new Computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The Radeon 2600 is vastly underrated. I'm playing Crysis on medium settings at 1440 resolution. Call of Duty 4 runs even better.

The Radeon 2600 will be fine for you HockeyFan.

Regarding upgrades, Macs hold their value so well, you can sell in 3 year's time and you've got 70% of the cash towards a new iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.