Wireshark help

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to install Wireshark on my MB. I am able mount the Wireshark disk image and copy the Wireshark to the Applications folder.

Now after this, there is a Utilities folder which needs to be copied to the /usr/bin folder on my MB. How do I do this? I have tried searching for the folder in Finder but unable to do so.

Also I would like to know whether I can capture packets on the AirPort interface using wireshark? or do I have to install some other libraries for this.

Please forgive me if the questions look silly or elementary.

TiA,
mac_newbie.

Reaction score
I currently using it on my MB, installed from a dmg downloaded at the end of february 08 , version 099-7. The package included also a X11 patch to fix a bug of OSX at that time.
Don't remember if has been installed first X11 or Wireshark, but you can try either way. No extra other than X11 patch was installed.
Since then it's working very fine, write if you need help

Reaction score
... forgot to say:
- it works for Airport
- nothing was copied to /usr/bin (or sbin) , no Wireshark item is currently present in these folders

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi bk4348,

Thanks for your reply. You atleast cleared one of my doubts. But the installation thing is still pending. I did not give the installation a shot for a couple of days now.
I am trying to install Wireshark 1.0.2. Attached is a grab of the installation window.
Here is what the readme has to say:
"Quick Setup

1. Drag the Wireshark icon to /Applications.
2. Drag the contents of the Utilities/Command Line folder to $HOME/bin, /usr/local/bin, /opt/wireshark/bin or any other location that makes sense (preferably one that's in your PATH).
3. You will probably need to adjust the permissions of /dev/bpf* in order to capture. You can do this by hand or by installing the ChmodBPF startup item.
"

Im running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2. Does that make any difference?

Thanks,
mac_newbie

wiresharkDmgGrab.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
In Finder use the key command

cmd+shift+g

Enter /usr/bin in the field.

copy the contents of the wireshark utilities folder there.

Reaction score
Sorry but I didn't had any of these complications, the installation process was quite linear, here follows the content of the Readme file in the dmg package (size 118 Mb; 19 Feb 08):
This package contains Wireshark 0.99.7 (from www.wireshark.org) built from the open source code by Fink Consulting GmbH, Basel, Switzerland for free.
The package is built for MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) only and installs into /usr/local. It has been compiled for architectures i386 and ppc.

The package includes the following items:

adns-1.3
atk-1.20.0
cairo-1.4.12
gettext-0.17
gtk+-2.12.3
jpeg-6b
libpng-1.2.24
lua-5.1.2
pango-1.19.0
pcre-7.4
pkg-config-0.22
portaudio_stable_v19.20071207
tiff-3.8.2
wireshark-0.99.7
A pseudo application starting wireshark from an icon in /Applications.
A startup item making /dev/bpf* readable for everyone at startup.

Note: On MacOS X 10.5 and 10.5.1 the supplied X11 application crashes when you run wireshark and start capturing. The included open source version fixes those problems. We expect Apple to fix this soon as part of MacOS X so you might not need this application anymore.
Then I just run (click) the 2 *.pkg files (don't remember the order) in the dmg and everything was ok

Author of package: Andreas Fink
[email protected]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.