creating disk image for os x

Reaction score
hi

ive just setup my imac with all sorts of programs and plug in and am really happy with how it is. In the result something happens to my computer somehow i don't want to go throughout the process of installing and setting it all up, are macs like pc's can i do a disk image of everything and restore it all down the track if it all fails on me ????

dolce

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can either use disk utility to clone a drive, or use the software called Super Duper to clone a drives contents to an external disk or partition

Reaction score
I am new to creating a drive image in OS 10.5 but would also like to do the same. Where do I go to get to the disc untility? And would cloning the drive allow me to install the image on 14 other imacs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am new to creating a drive image in OS 10.5 but would also like to do the same. Where do I go to get to the disc untility? And would cloning the drive allow me to install the image on 14 other imacs?

Disk Utility is in Applications > Utilities

The cloned drive would only work in similar mac models, you may get it to work for different macs but I doubt it

If you want to clone set-ups across macs (I assume you are cloning applications that are either bundles, open source or you have software licenses for)

Clone one mac using superduper on an external drive

Use Migration assistant (again in Utilities) to transfer that drives set-up to any number of Macs

That will not transfer the system software but it lets you deploy a standard set of applications and settings on muliple macs

OP
D
Reaction score
i have tried using disk utility and selecting +new image. i have then selected the destination for the image file, once it begins it then says error (resource busy). why is this??????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.