Wireless modem and Airport Express connection - A Must??

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am a newbie to mac and have one very stupid question:

I am currently subscribing DSL service from my phone company and there is an ugly wireless modem which comes with the subscription. It also serves as a wireless router as well. Near my speaker input on the other side of the room, I have an airport express which I use to steam itunes. I am trying to figure out a way to eliminate the cable connection between my DSL modem/router and the airport express because the phone jack is too far away from my speaker input. Right now I am having a problem that when I need to surf the net, I have to use the airport to tap the DSL signal from the modem; but when I need to stream music to my speakers, I have to manually switch the airport utility from my computer to connect to the airport express (near the speakers). BTW, I am using iMac running Leopard if that matters.

Thank you very much for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had to read your question several times to understand what it is you're trying to do. :)

I was going to suggest an Airport Extreme instead of the Airport Express but see that your ISP wireless router and modem is an all in one unit. You would still have the same problem unless you wanted to invest in a DSL modem.

I don't see an easy way to eliminate that CAT-5 cable connection from the all in one unit to the Airport Express. Go to the Apple store and take a look at the Airport Extreme and see if it better serves your needs.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
Very Simple...
Open your airport utility follow the setup Wizard as shown in the thumbnails..
Picture 1.png
Picture 2.png
Picture 3.png
Picture 4.png

By following the steps above, your airport express will join your existing wireless network created by your Modem/Router as a client which will work as a print server & itunes music streaming device & there will be no need of Ethernet cable anymore...

Hope that helps..

Cheers..

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you very much for both of the responses. It finally works with the method that umang7888 suggested. Sorry about the wordy explanation. For a second I thought it couldn't be done. Thanks again for the guidance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.