Bootcamp on External Hard Drive Woes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video
ok so i would like to run boot camp off of my 300gb elements external harddrive; using MacBook Pro w/ Leopard. i attempted to do this but because i dont have enough experience using Boot Camp, i partitioned about 5gbs on my main hard drive. how do i undo this permanently, and get back those 5 gigs? also, how do i choose to use the external hard drive as opposed to my main hard drive?? thanks in advance for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to remove the 5 Gb partition you created, run the Boot Camp assistant again and select restore. Reboot. The drive will be restored to OS X. Boot Camp can not create a partition on an external drive. Use Disk Utility or third party software. (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php)

Note: If you intend to run Windows (XP or Vista), neither will boot from an external hard drive. You didn't say, but I thought I would mention it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.