Safari - *Cannot find Server*

Reaction score
I bought a macbook off of a friend about 6 months ago, in which everything worked excellent. About a month ago safari started to give me a problem. Anytime that i would try to open up google or yahoo (two of the main search engines i use) it would always say the same thing:

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.google.com/” because it can’t find the server “www.google.com”.

or.

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.yahoo.com/” because it can’t find the server “www.yahoo.com”.

I first tried clearing cache, cookies, etc. and no dice.
Then i tried reseting safari in the menu which is essentually the same thing and of course didnt work.

I then downloaded Mozilla Firefox to see if it would open up the sites and still nothing. Do i try to uninstall/reinstall safari or did firefox single that out?

Im stumped....any ideas please help me out.

Also i am running Windows XP through Parallels and IE opens both google and yahoo no problem. Running OSX Leopard 10.5.4

Thanks in advance!

OP
I
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that basically ALL other sites open up without any problems.

Google and Yahoo are the only websites that i have run into that haven't been able to open.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz
I've been having this problem, too. My MBP and my mom's MB won't open certain pages. Sometimes it'll open a page if I refresh but sometimes not at all. I've tried everything you have and still no dice. It's weird because the message loads instantly like Safari doesn't even try to communicate with any server. It just loads that page out of laziness.

What's funny is that the first time I clicked to view this thread, it gave me that "Safari can't open the page" message...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
cat /etc/hosts

cat /etc/resolv.conf

that'll show you if there is anything unusual in your /etc/hosts file and what your name servers are.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with snow leopard. I can ping google or yahoo and the ping works, but when I try to use Safari or Firefox it can not find any server.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Same crap!

Im ready to take my macbook pro to the Apple store...
Every other site I go to, says Safari cant find the server...

WHAT THE heck!!!! whats going on!?!?:Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on the MBP and which OSX is installed?

How are you connected to the internet? DSL/Cable? What router? Do other computers have issues? Have you only tried Safari or did you try another browser like Firefox or Chrome? Same issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.