Wireless broadband suggestions

Reaction score
Just got Comcast broadband for the house and I'm wondering how to handle what I have in mind.
There is two computers in the house, my MBP and my roomates PC notebook. The roomates notebook is a few years old and only is only being used to access the internet a couple of times a week. I use mine for internet daily and am more concerned with the speed. No file sharing will take place...just wanting ability to use the two computers at same time in different areas of house.
From my understanding, I might be able to purchase a wireless router so they can use where ever they want in the house and I might be able to plug a cable into the router and use it wired. This is possible correct?
Next question, do I need to be concerned about the two platforms and compatibility? From what I've heard, linksys has created many problems for people with Macs.
I'm a little concerned about range. The distance isn't all that great but it's going from one floor to another that's frightening me. The room is stacked above the room the PC will mostly be used. Around walls and down the stairs, the distance is only about 20-30 feet. I like the G prices but the N and N+ isn't that far off. I'm just wondering if the N and N+ would be considered overkill for the situation.
Looking for a little direction please.
Thanks-b.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any good wireless router should suffice. Placing it in a central location on the second floor of your house should work well if the incoming broadband connector is close by. If your roommate's PC can accept a wireless connection it should be just a matter of setting it up in Windows (using the wireless wizard).

As far as which type to buy (G or N) I would purchase the N as it's also backward compatible with machines that can only accept a G or lower connection. Be sure to purchase the router from a store which accepts returns for a full refund in case the one you buy somehow doesn't work out.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
So am I correct in assuming that the wireless router can also be used wired to my MBP while my roomates notebook can access the internet wirelessly? I'll go with the N and place it in a centeral location.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you are correct. At one time here at home I had my desktop PC connected via ethernet cable, my daughter's notebook PC by wireless, and my MacBook by wireless, all using the same D-Link wireless router.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Much appreciation!!!! Now I just have to find a good deal. Actually...while we're on the topic...I'm not sure if it's against the rules to ask for recommendiations on where to get products. If it's not, read on. However, if it is against the rules, delete this portion or let me know so I can do so.
I found good prices for ram at Newegg, which I'm in the market for. Does anyone know of other place I should look at before I go with one of their wireless routers? Or maybe I should do as previously suggested and get one that has a good return policy if I need to return.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Router: Just about any local store which sells computer accessories is where I would shop. You may wind up paying a bit more plus some local sales tax, but it's much easier and faster to return an item locally than doing it via the web.

Memory: Crucial, OWC, NewEgg, CanadaRam, and many others are out there.
Shop around for the best deal. I personally like Crucial.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.