OSX 10.5.4 and windows network printer HELP!

Reaction score
Hello,

I just switched to Mac and I am in the process of setting up my MacBook.

I have a Canon MX700 all in one printer connected to my desktop and shared on the network. Every computer I have can connect to this printer except my MacBook.

I downloaded the lastest OS X drivers for the printer from Canon.
When I go to add printers and select "windows" , the MacBook finds the MX700 on my network, on my desktop.
When I select that printer it asks for drivers....and the MX700 is not listed. I would have thought that installing the latest drivers would have added them to the list. I also cannot find the driver anywhere on the computer so I cannot manually point to it. All I can get to is the IJ Utility and that doesn't have the printer listed (I assume since the printer is not connected directly).

The fact that the MacBook finds the MX700 all by itself on the network shows that it can see the printer...I just can't install any drivers even though I went through the install process with the latest drivers and rebooted the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

marcus (new mac user)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
mewmartigan,

Maybe because it's an all-in-one. Did you get a driver disk with the printer? have you tried using it? Maybe that would work since there are no drivers available from Apple.

If it doesn't work, call Apple and ask them what to do...

Noel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, this is a weakness of Mac OS X. It doesn't handle port redirection like Windows does, and most of the Canon drivers are geared specifically toward the printer being hooked up via USB. In fact, the driver won't make itself available unless the printer is hooked up locally. Take a look at this FAQ, which will explain the problem in greater detail. Good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies and the link. I will try using the CD that came with the printer and I will also connect the printer via USB until they can talk to each other. Then I will give the network connection another shot.

Thanks again, I am glad this is such a helpful community! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.