Video card - which would you choose ?

Reaction score
I am hoping to get one of these cards via Craiglist - the seller cannot confirm if they're ready to use in a G4 dual monitor setup, I'm assuming they aren't. As I've mentioned in the past I have to get a card with DVI that can be used in a dual monitor/XP config. Personally I don't need it for games, just to get my Mac back the setup I had before my Radeon 9200 died.

What should I be looking for here ?

Seller's notes:
Nvidia GeForce 4 MX - (AGP)
An older card, came out in 2002. A good basic card.

ATI Radeon 9550 PRO - (AGP)
This card can play games such as Half Life 2. It's a big step above the GeForce4, but still old.

Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS - (AGP)
I have used this to play newer games such as Oblivion on medium-high settings. It had a heating problem, but I replaced the fan on it. My case has poor airflow now, and some fans stopped working, so I don't know if the problem is the card or the fact that I don't have enough fans (it started when I got a new PSU that didn't have a bottom fan)

Nvidia 7600 GTS - (PCI-E)
Haven't tried it, but it can play new games on high settings

Nvidia 8600 GTS - (PCI-E)
Just came out a year or so ago, it's a good card to have and will play all new games coming out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Really depends on the model of your computer. If heat is a consideration as in say a MDD DP, have a look at the ATI Radeon 9600 Mac/PC PRO with 256MB VRAM and has no fan for cool, silent running.

If heat is not a problem ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro are available in 8X/4X AGP and have seen some advertised, probably flashed OPC cards, suitable for 2X AGP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Right, I know, you've told me this before - the reason I'm thinking of the above cards is mostly price - with a Quicksilver 1.5Ghz/133 bus will any of those cards work (in your opinion) ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you're not playing games, just get the cheapest.

If you want to play games, the G4 and bus speed will be the bottleneck and run out of steam before the newer cards do.

Have you considered buying the cheapest card and selling the whole machine?

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't wish to sell the Mac, just get a DVI card that works with it !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.