Backup to External Hardrive

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I use a MacBook for a little word processing, but mainly for processing of my photos. I want to be able to back up every few weeks to my USB2 hard drive.
I have the old operating system (without time machine).

What software do you recommend I backup using ?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated !

John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
SuperDuper. works great, and backs up your OS as well, so if anything happens, you can boot up from your external like nothing happened.

Reaction score
automatic backup alternatives?

Hi,

I just joined because I had a very similar question, and found this thread by searching. I checked out SuperDuper and it looks like you have to buy something in order to get the feature that schedules automatic backups. Is there any software out there that does automatic backups for free?

I also have an old Mac running 10.4, and a shiny new Verbatim external hard drive. I can obviously back things up by copying them, but I'm hoping to find something that I can set up to do it automatically.

Best,
Anna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
RsyncX is pretty basic but can be set up with a shedule to back-up only new files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I use superduper too, makes a bootable backup. great program. you could also use carbon copy cloner.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi,

I just joined because I had a very similar question, and found this thread by searching. I checked out SuperDuper and it looks like you have to buy something in order to get the feature that schedules automatic backups. Is there any software out there that does automatic backups for free?

I also have an old Mac running 10.4, and a shiny new Verbatim external hard drive. I can obviously back things up by copying them, but I'm hoping to find something that I can set up to do it automatically.

Best,
Anna

Not exactly free (donation ware):

Carbon Copy Cloner = http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Works exactly like SuperDuper. If you like the program and use it, you can send the author a donation.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
donationware. so if you liked it you could donate as little as $5. that is a deal for a great app such as ccc.

there is a free option, June 07 issue of macworld, page 67. Using automator for backups.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! That'll keep me busy for a while. I really appreciate it.

Best,
Anna

Reaction score
Backup to Maxtor External Drive

Hi,

First of all, I'm new to this sort of thing, so please excuse my ignorance. I've never backed anything up before, so I'm not really familiar with any standard caveats outside of keeping your backup in a location seperate from the computer.

Second, please direct me to another thread if I'm in the wrong place. I've looked around, and this seemed like the best thread.

Third, thanks in advance for any help/advice.

I just bought a 1TB Maxtor OneTouch4 Plus external hard drive, thinking it'd be a good idea to backup my computer (17" 1.83 GHz Intel 10.4.11). Additionally, I've already partitioned the drive so I can backup my macBook too. It appears that the default set of folders that the drive wants to backup are /Documents, /Movies, /Pictures, and /Music. I guess my question is are there other folders/files I should necessarily backup; /Applications for instance? Should I just backup the entire Macintosh HD instead? Is this sufficient, or am I even approaching this correctly? Do I need yet another program, or is the Maxtor software good enough? Also, I'm interested in backing up my inbox in Mail. Is this yet a seperate issue?

It sounds from the thread like just backing up and making a 'bootable' backup are seperate issues. What makes a backup bootable? I think it means you can start the OS from the disk, but when does this become an advantage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Gb macbook
CCC and Paralell

New to this and about to install paralell onto my macbook. I need windows to access and update some database and spreadsheet files i use on a daily basis on my windows PC. Now want to have it all on my Macbook. My question is this. I want to use CCC to back-up to an external hard drive and want to ensure I back-up the Windows files I am using within my virtual windows enviroment. Will this happen automatically as part of the back-up process or do I have to change anything to allow the Virtual enviroment to be backed-up along with my mac drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.