G3 600mhz ibook very strange boot problem!

Reaction score
Hi All

This is my first post on these boards. I repair logic boards and my hobby is bringing ibooks back from the dead. I have done 15 successful graphics chipset reflows and hope I can provide some help on the boards! :)

Anyway.

I have the bottom half of a G3 600mhz ibook sitting on my bench (with a vga screen attached and keyboard and mouse) which refuses to boot on its own accord!

Here's what I have tried so far

1. I have stuck a new hardrive in with a fresh install of osx this is my "Test" drive so I know it works. I try to boot from this test drive but it wont boot I just get the flashing folder icon.

2.I have sucessfully booted from a G4 ibook (in target disk mode) which is connected to the G3 via firewire. And I can do everything on it surf the net etc. And what's scary is that I can easily read and write to the "Test" drive!!!

3. I tried to boot an AHT cd for the G3 by using a firewire cd/dvd drive. I start up in disk manager and I can see the CD I try and boot and the screen flashes and kinda returns back to the startup manager page.

4. So relating to step 3 I put the AHT cd into the g4. I then connected the G4 to the G3 and went again to the startup manager on the G3 and I can see the AHT CD thats sitting in the G4 combo drive. I try to boot the disk and the same thing happens.

5. I have also tried just for kicks to boot the OSX install dvd from the firewire cd drive and it boots too.

In summary: I can boot another computer (g4) via the G3 in firewire. And when doing this I can see the "Test" drive which is connected to the G3 logicboard. I can even read and write and play music from the test drive!

But it just wont boot. I have tried other drives aside from my "Test" drive and they wont boot either.

I have never come across a problem like this before? Its quite unusual but exciting at the same time

Any thoughts?!

Jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.