Letting Macbook Battery Drain Wears it Out Faster?

Reaction score
My friend was telling me that what I currently do quite a bit (which is use my laptop without its charger until it's basically at like 5% and then goes into hibernation mode) shortens its lifespan quite a bit. Is there any truth to this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's true. The more charge - recharge cycles you put the battery through, the shorter its life will be. If you use the machine at home, keep it plugged into the AC mains. Use it on battery when you need to - when traveling, at Starbucks, in class, etc. Take a look at this guide:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
Yes its very much true...its recommended you put it through one battery cycle a month (which is wat you were doing to it...just way too often)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Yup, if you can keep your laptop plugged in, do it. My laptop has recently become a desktop machine, so I have iCal send me an email once a month to remind me to fully discharge my battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I was reading a couple other posts about this because i was curious about what the best way to maintain these batteries actually is.

A couple people told me that if i know im using he laptop at a "Home" environment then i should just take the batter totally out of the machine and use straight AC power.

Is there any truth to this or??

JMC

Reaction score
Yes, it's true. The more charge - recharge cycles you put the battery through, the shorter its life will be. If you use the machine at home, keep it plugged into the AC mains. Use it on battery when you need to - when traveling, at Starbucks, in class, etc. Take a look at this guide:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

Regards.

Some Starbucks let you plug in now.

(Couldn't resist this ;) :

"A couple people told me that if i know im using he laptop at a "Home" environment then i should just take the batter totally out of the machine and use straight AC power."

Yup - always remove all the batter from the machine. It doesn't go well with AC power :) [sorry!]

)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.4ghz/4gigram/sd/leopard
Hi, I'm kinda new here, and I was just wondering what the difference if any is between the mag charger thing, and the ac power cord? Which should I use when I am just using it as a desktop (90% of the time)?
Thanks, great site, nice ppl here;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Hi, I'm kinda new here, and I was just wondering what the difference if any is between the mag charger thing, and the ac power cord? Which should I use when I am just using it as a desktop (90% of the time)?
Thanks, great site, nice ppl here;)

You have more than one power adaptor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.4ghz/4gigram/sd/leopard
Ok, showing my noobness. I was unaware that the ac power cord merely extends the maglock cord thing. I thought there were two hookups on the macbook, and the maglock was for battery charging, and the ac cord was for running the comp sans battery.

Seems like it would have been WAY easier to just make the maglock cord longer!? or am I missing something here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB , 80GB HDD, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB RAM
Batteries are finnicky buggers! LiPo Batt.'s need to be used less to last longer... but used to maintain charge capacity.. the key here (as always) is moderation. Don't leave it at 0% for two months (using only AC) but don't never discharge it either [that guide isn't loading so i can't comment on it, but i'm guessing its got good info].

If you use the laptop w/o the battery in - make sure nobody ever touches that cord... you'll loose all your non-saved data! not a good idea in my opinion. if your laptop is used as a dsktop then consider the battery one of the longest-lasting/cheapest APS's on the market! Power outage? What power outage?!

I think BuickGN is talking about how the the G4's and earlier (possibly early macbooks?) came with a power blolck with two ac inputs if you will. the stupid little prongs that flip out, and about a 6' cord like all other computers in the world. Good thing is the AC cord fits all apple chargers that have the removable prongs (e.g. airport express even!).

my personal pref: why would you want to not reach a plug? but i'm a Univ student and often in study rooms/libraries where the plugs are few/far apart... just me tho.

I'm lookin at my apt now and hey! The power situation is even worse, the plugs are few and very far apart too! There's none close enough to reach my couch without using the the 'extension' instead of the prongs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.