Wireless Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I just recieved my Ibook G4 and already I want wireless internet. Are there any cheaper alternatives to setting a wireless internet in my house without buying an Apple airport or an Apple Airport express? That will work well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
You can buy a wireless router from Linksys or DLink or others and use that to set up your wireless network. What kind of internet connection do you have?? Do you have a network setup currently??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
as long as you have an airport card in the ibook, any wireless router should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
The mac 13 said:
no linksys nor whatever, BELKIN!!!

best rouyter in d world

UGHHH, please do not force Belkin on anyone. I've gone through 3 USB Hubs and 4 KVM switches with them and they were just junk, I surely wouldn't try a router from them after my experiences.

You could go over to www.pricegrabber.com or www.epinions.com and read the user reviews for different brands of wireless routers to help you make your decision. I personally prefer Linksys, never had a problem with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
netgear is also a really good brand, depends what you need, for example how many computers will be connected, will you need a usb or firewire port for wireless printing, etc.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rberry88 said:
You can buy a wireless router from Linksys or DLink or others and use that to set up your wireless network. What kind of internet connection do you have?? Do you have a network setup currently??

As of right now we only have two computers in the house. My Ibook and my parents PC. Their PC is connected to cable internet and the only way I can get internet is having to unplug the cord from the PC and putting it in to my Ibook. It's just a hassle so I want to go wireless.

But only my laptop has a built in wireless card so the PC can't go wireless. So I just want to send the connection of the PC to my Ibook.

Any suggestions as to what I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The best solution is going to be a wireless router. You can plug the PC's ethernet cable into the wireless router to get internet access on the PC and then have the iBook connect wirelessly to the wireless router.

Even though its called a wireless route, you can have wired and wireless connections to it. Just plug the ethernet cable coming from the cable modem to the router, from the router plug an additional ethernet cable that goes to the PC. Simple.

If you need more help just let us know.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would this work? Could you go to this site Http://Staples.Ca and search for the a router that would work for me. Would this work.

Click here

Its a link to a Staples Catelogue. Would that work for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Linksys:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

Netgear:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MR814.php
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

These are just two brands that I like and are recommended by others. You'll have to see if you can find a store in your area that sells them.

I tried the Staples.Ca site that you linked to but in order to search it wanted a postal code, which I have no idea what postal code you are at in Canada.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rberry88 said:
Linksys:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

Netgear:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MR814.php
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

These are just two brands that I like and are recommended by others. You'll have to see if you can find a store in your area that sells them.

I tried the Staples.Ca site that you linked to but in order to search it wanted a postal code, which I have no idea what postal code you are at in Canada.

Use this postal code B0P1R0.. Im pretty sure the one I mentioned from staples is the first one you posted on the last post.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So can you buy seperate Ethernet cords? Because right now I only have one connected from my Cable Modem to the PC. I went to that Staples website and I cant seem to find one. Maybe I skippped it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I know with linksys they give you a short cord with the router

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called my localStaples Business store and they have the Linksys one you mentioned Rberry88. Im going to be picking it up tonight. So is there any installing programs onto my ibook with this? Or do I just plug my cable modem into the Linksys and then the Linksys into my parents PC and my Ibook will automatically recieve a wireless signal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You got it, just plug an ethernet cable from the cable modem to the router, another ethernet cable from the router to the PC and make sure the Airport card in iBook is on and it should find it no problem.

The router comes with an install CD of sort for the PC, pretty basic and it should walk you through step by step to get it up and running with the PC.

If you find any parts that you don't understand just post back.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I need to install the Cd on the PC even thought it's not going to be wireless or is the installation for it to get the internet through the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The install CD/software for the PC is basically just to setup the router, whether its going to be wired or wireless it doesn't matter. It just needs the initial setting so it knows how your network works.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased the Linksys Cable/DSL Router. The one you mentioned. I tried setting it up but haven't gotten very far. I plugged my Cable Modem to my router and then from the router to my PC (Win ME). I couldn't figure out what to do next so I called the Technician told me to go to Start>Run and type winipcfg and asked for my IP address which was correct. Then he asked me to hit Start>Run and type Command. Once I got into the MS-Dos Prompt he asked me to type "Ping 192.168.1.1". It didn't seem to work he said it was finding 100% Loss. So he had me hold the restart button for a minute then unplug the router and then plug it back in and then release the restart button and we tried it again and it didn't work. He then asked to try going to an Ip address in my internet browswer to see if it prompted for a username and password and it did not.

I don't know if the Technician understood what I was trying to do or I was doing something wrong. The techncian said that this was an unusal problem and that I should return it to where I bought it and get a replacement is he right and this is a faulty machine?

(We think we bought the wrong one it does not say wireless on the box. It's "Cable/DSL Router with 4 Port Switch (WIRED)" Im assuming WIRED means it's not wireless.)

Hopefully someone can help us out here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.