Wireless Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Does the router have antenna(s) on it that stick up from the rear of the router? You bought the Linksys, what is the model number on the router, it should start with W or B.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
wired means its not wirless, sorry Im late, I spent the night at my bros, just got home and I have 125 emails, half from mac-forums. heres what you shoulda bought, or something like it:http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311221&pfp=SEARCH, plug your ethernet from the cable modem to the router, and a cat5 from the router to the cmputer, , that should be it, open IE and type in the ip address that comes with the router, itll take you to the setup, make sure you use wep, the AP card in your ibook should pick up the signal, but you will most likely have to do the same setup in safari on the ibook.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rberry88 said:
Does the router have antenna(s) on it that stick up from the rear of the router? You bought the Linksys, what is the model number on the router, it should start with W or B.

No it didn't have an antenna. Im going back today to get the one you mentioned the Linksys Wireless Cable/DSL router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Cat5 is just the technical name for an ethernet cord

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked, I have wireless internet. Buying the other product worked easily with the CD. And its a lot faster then what I expected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oldnews said:
It worked, I have wireless internet. Buying the other product worked easily with the CD. And its a lot faster then what I expected.
cool, happy to help:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Awesome, now remember, when you reach the end of the internet, then you know it's time to go to bed.

;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
make sure you use wep

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oldnews said:
Whats "wep"?
wireless encryption protocol. its so others, like neighbors and such dont use your connection. wep will make it so you need to enter a password to use the connection.

U

UrbanAmy

I tried to use Dlink DI-624 (wireless cable/dsl router) for my wireless needs. It turned out, after a while, the connection became unbearably slow (slower than 56k). Mind you, we have 3 computers in the house, and one of them is my new PB. The PC and my old PM (Sawtooth G4), the two of the 3 computers, has no wireless cards so they have to use the ethernet the old fashioned way while my laptop can go wireless. I was wondering if the super slow speeds contributes to a conflict of ethernet and wireless connections? I decided to send Dlink back. I was afraid I'd experience this problem again if I decided to buy Netgear. Any ideas why the connection was super slow?

T

The mac 13

rberry88 said:
UGHHH, please do not force Belkin on anyone. I've gone through 3 USB Hubs and 4 KVM switches with them and they were just junk, I surely wouldn't try a router from them after my experiences.

You could go over to www.pricegrabber.com or www.epinions.com and read the user reviews for different brands of wireless routers to help you make your decision. I personally prefer Linksys, never had a problem with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats HUBS and SWITCHES. Im recomending ROUTERS. :closed:

T

The mac 13

oldnews said:
As of right now we only have two computers in the house. My Ibook and my parents PC. Their PC is connected to cable internet and the only way I can get internet is having to unplug the cord from the PC and putting it in to my Ibook. It's just a hassle so I want to go wireless.

But only my laptop has a built in wireless card so the PC can't go wireless. So I just want to send the connection of the PC to my Ibook.

Any suggestions as to what I need?

you will need a wireless adaptor. Either USB or PCI. BELKIN!

T

The mac 13

Whats the differece btw straight n crossed? and which one shd i use from comp to comp and from comp to hub?

T

The mac 13

UrbanAmy said:
I tried to use Dlink DI-624 (wireless cable/dsl router) for my wireless needs. It turned out, after a while, the connection became unbearably slow (slower than 56k). Mind you, we have 3 computers in the house, and one of them is my new PB. The PC and my old PM (Sawtooth G4), the two of the 3 computers, has no wireless cards so they have to use the ethernet the old fashioned way while my laptop can go wireless. I was wondering if the super slow speeds contributes to a conflict of ethernet and wireless connections? I decided to send Dlink back. I was afraid I'd experience this problem again if I decided to buy Netgear. Any ideas why the connection was super slow?

have u tried disabling Ping reply? could have been DoS. u use cordless phones? could intefrer? did u put yr router near metal objects? it will conflict. wats yr broadbands speed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.