Strange boot problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Has anyone come across a fault like this?

Just taken my Mac mini to pieces and re-installed 2Gb in it (I did upgrade it previously to 2Gb but I nicked the memory for my daughter's macbook a while ago). Whilst in pieces I installed a 320Gb Toshiba drive to replace the existing 80Gb Seagate.

Anyway when I put it back together it does not boot from its internal drive (which I imaged from the original drive).

Right so I boot off the original Leopard SERVER install disc and go into disc utility. DOH its not set to GUID so it wouldn't boot would it !!! So I re-format as GUID and re-install but it stops with the message on screen "Time Remaining: Less than a minute" which I left for 20 minutes but nothing happened.

I press a button and the computer starts making noises and accessing the DVD with the beach ball but nothing else happens so I re-start. The computer will not boot off the HD so I boot the DVD. I check system profiler (off the install disc) and it shows 2Gb and 320Gb HD so the new RAM and HD are in ok. I re-install again and the same thing happens.

If I boot in Target mode the drive contains a leopard server install !

I have reset NVRAM

I have booted with D held down to no avail.

The drive shows in disc utility as a single 296Gb GUID drive with one partition.

Startup disc only shows the install DVD and Network boot.

Very strange..............

OP
cowasaki
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Well after messing with this for about 5 hours I have found a way to install Leopard, just clicked on Customize and removed the optional installs of drivers and language packs etc. It has now just finished installing !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.