Wireless Internet is extremely slow

Reaction score
Is this a common issue? My friend told me it was.

It takes over 10 seconds to do a google search. It's extremely slow in general. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Well it could be a few things. I don't think this is a common problem for MacBooks specifically.

First things first -

1. Is there another computer sharing the connection? Is it faster? If you shut down that computer does the speed improve?

2. If you connect via ethernet cable to the router is it any better?

3. Do you have a strong signal?

OP
C
Reaction score
1. Yes to the first two questions. I haven't tried shutting down this computer (PC).

2. Yes.

3. Yup, I'm right next to the router.

I kinda fixed it by plugging in the cable directly, but sometimes I need to go wireless and it's annoying when it's extremely slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Is the other PC connected wirelessly?

Reaction score
My wife has been complaining about the same thing. We got a MacBook in ~February of this year for her to use. It is 1 of several devices on my wireless network, and the only one to exhibit extreme slowness.

Safari will time out on page loads it goes so slow sometimes. Other times it blazes at the same speed as the other machines. It is very frustrating for her, and I don't see any difference in how I set the network preferences up on that computer verse any of the other Macs I use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
I have the same problem. I called apple and here is the steps they told me:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/11395.html

but they also told me:

click the little gear on the bottom of the network panel. Select "set service order". Make sure the order is Airport then Ethernet then Bluetooth, then firewire. Hit ok then hit apply. This helped me a bunch. If the internet is still going slow then i suggest unplugging your wireless router for a few minutes, restarting your computer, then plugging it back in. If that STILL doesn't work then call the folks at Apple. They should help you:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Wireless internet was slow on my wife's mini. I disabled airport on the mini restarted and then re-enabled airport and all is well. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Mac OS has some issues with DNS addresses in the router. When I first got my Macbook, it took forever to load webpages. I did a bit of research and found out that mac OS has problems resolving DNS addresses if they are not assigned by your router. I thought apple resolved this issue with the last update, but who knows, it might still be there.

Try changing the DNS address as shown here https://www.opendns.com/start?device=apple-osx-leopard

Here is some information too,
http://hunter.pairsite.com/blogs/blog20080603.html

Hope it helps,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.