Internal Speaker Problem, Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM
Hopefully someone can help me. I bought my first apple computer the other day. I bought a 24" iMac. So far I love it, far better then any pc product I've every owned. I do however have a little problem.
Whenever I am listening to any kind of audio through the internal speakers I get a little distortion. It's not all the time, it only lasts for 1 or 2 seconds. Then it returns back to the normal audio. Its only a little change in the audio quality, but it is very noticeable. I was hoping that it would go away as soon as I updated to OS X 10.5.4, but it is still there. From what I can figure it has something to do with the internal speakers. It happens across the board in all programs. I haven't however plugged my headphones in and seen if it persists.
So please help. I don't know if this is maybe something that happens to a number of apples and it eventually works itself out, or I just take it in to apple.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Gegenteile,

It could be external interference - the Mac speakers aren't shielded that well from what I've heard, so if you have local noise in the air (Hams, nearby radio station, etc) that could happen.

The headphones may help and tell you something, but if the interference is in the audio system, you'd still hear it with them.

Does this happen throughout the day/night? If so, it could be the audio system and for that I would call Apple and ask for their help. You may need some hardware changes.

Noel

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM
Noels,

Thanks for the advice. I finally had a chance to use my headphones and didn't experience any of the distortion. I'm pretty sure its a hardware problem.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Gegenteile,

Just tells me that your speakers aren't sufficiently shielded. Nothing you (or Apple) can do about that.

Glad the head phones sound good, though.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.