"Mac kills viruses DEAD"!!!

Reaction score
I have been and avid pc user since 2001. I never even thought about trying anything else. Until a little over a month ago when I purchased my first Mac Pro. Wow what a huge difference between the 2 :Cool:. I'm so used to my computer crashing or getting attacked or infected with some type of virus, malware, adware etc. You name it my Dell's probably got it. I have to admit I was real ignorant of Apple computers in the past. Now, since the switch I can't believe how worry free I am, and how much money I've already and will save :$ . I'm also SHOCKED by all the features. It's a "WHOLE NEW UNIVERSE":Shouting: with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
well, that's cool, you sound happy to have seen the light

BTW, I hope you have turned your firewall on just in case, there are Trojans out there but you really have to give them a helping hand yourself to get infected

Reaction score
That's great! OS X is fairly immune to viruses and other malware "in the wild," but you still have to be careful not to download and install trojans, because these can definitely ruin your day.

I've owned a PC for over seven years without getting infected even once. If your Dell was always infested with viruses and such, then either your system wasn't set up properly (with a good firewall, antivirus, ad-aware and spyware remover), or you were engaging in risky behavior (visiting questionable web sites, P2P sites, downloading a lot of "freeware," etc.). If you do this kind of stuff on your Mac, you still might get an infection, although the risk is definitely smaller than with a PC. I would strongly recommend not logging into your Mac using an Administrator account.

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually, I was always up to date with my anti virus software and never really went to any risky sites or downloaded anything that was suspicious that I know of. Any pc user will tell you can't really avoid these problems even with a Mac. I'll normally just form a peace treaty with my unwanted guess in hopes that they won't mess up my computer too bad. I also was using windows xp btw:Oops:. Good OS but not enough patches to keep the "ROACHES OUT":Not-Amused:.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
I would strongly recommend not logging into your Mac using an Administrator account.

so, how do you log in then? I am kinda a newbie, and just opened the box on the new imac and started it up

and , I am probably not using a firewall.....I am using a linksys wireless setup

any suggestions?

thanks!

al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD
How can I turn on the firewall on my macbook? I just bought it a few days ago and I'm still getting used to the new OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I would strongly recommend not logging into your Mac using an Administrator account.

so, how do you log in then? I am kinda a newbie, and just opened the box on the new imac and started it up

and , I am probably not using a firewall.....I am using a linksys wireless setup

any suggestions?

thanks!

al

Personally I don't think it's nessessary at all, but if you go to the Apple Menu> System Preferences> Accounts you can add another user account without admin rights and use that instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.