• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble Burning From Inserting Blank Disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Has anyone ever experience any trouble from a mac not reading a blank cd or dvd?

This only happens to me from time-to-time with my mac. One week it burns cd and dvd just fine, then the next week it doesn't read any blank disk that I insert. It acts like it wants to read the blank disc for about a minute then spits it out. Does anyone knows why this is happening? Its starting to *&#@ me off because it only happens when I need to burn some data for an urgent purpose. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Maul,

Are all the CDs you are using from the same batch? Should work! If you bought them on sale, some may be poor quality and won't burn well consistenly.

I've seen many problems on this forum concerning "no burn" like yours and makes me think the Apple burners need better QA. If you still have the problem when using good quality CDs/DVDs, call Apple and question them about it.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
I was just about to post this exact topic. I've been using the same blank DVD's for a while, but suddenly the drive has been spitting the disc out after about a minute. It was working perfectly about a month or 2 ago. It suddenly stopped though. I kind of need to be able to burn DVD's because I have a client waiting on a video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Folks,

You may have done this already, but go to System Preferences>CDs & DVDs and check the scroll bar settings. I think maybe they can get out of whack...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Checked that. When a I tried to insert a blank DVD yesterday in toast it said "reading" but it never read it, and spat it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
adler,

Don't know if this will help, but download and run all the scripts with Mainmenu, get it here: http://www.santasw.com/

I set up and use "Execute Batch Tasks" every day or two. It cleans cache, fixes permissions, etc. Give it a try free, it's donateware, see if it helps...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.