Best way to do a complete refresh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64
Bought my Macbook at the end of 2006 - loved it since then but lately it has started crashing a little more, being a little slow etc. I have since bought an iMac and migrated all my files/settings etc over to that so I am in the perfect position to give this an overhaul.

It has Tiger on it when i bought it and i have since upgraded it to Leopard.

So, how is the best way to go about this complete overhaul? Just stick the Leopard disc in and install it without backing anything up etc - fresh install.

Is there nothing like a format and reinstall as per windows PC's?

On another note, lately the battery indicator has been showing 'not charging' and the notebook now goes off if you remove the charger cable. I doubt a refresh would sort that but it will at least be in a nice condition when i take it into Apple.

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If you boot from the leopard DVD you should be able to use disk utility to erase the HD and then install leopard again and be back to the beginning.

Regarding the charging issue, if you go to the apple menu> about this mac> more info> power, what is the maximum charge capacity of the battery? Could quite possibly havedied, mine lasted about that amount of time before giving up the ghost.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64
max charge capacity is 0!

dead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, sounds pretty dead to me.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dammit - so annoying - my charger caught fire not so long ago and that ended up costing me just short of £70!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I trod on mine in high heels and sheared the end clean off a while ago - got one on ebay for £60!

The good news is you can get batteries a little cheaper. I'm not sure how great third party ones are though, but you can get the official ones cheaper there too. I'm also in the market for one - it's been a good couple of months and it's driving me insane, the dog keeps pulling my cable out.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, ive put it off now for a while, but its got to the point where i need to start using it again and its the most annoying thing in the world when you accidentally pull the cable out and it goes off.

Do you think that does it damage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dunno. I can't see it being good for it though. I want to do a fresh install too but I've broken my superdrive, so that'll have to wait for me.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, we sound similar. I also broke my superdrive by putting a mini cd in it - cost me £50 to send it off and have it removed!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine started making crunching noises and stopped working... Got curious and took it out, can't seem to put it back together again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Alex and skaheadpunk,

Good conversation! I enjoyed reading it, but sorry for your problems and the expenses involved.

Good luck on getting things together soon,

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.