KVM with iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Not sure if this is the correct place for this but it seemed like the best.

I have a MacMini and have now just received delivery of a new iMac. I don't have the space to setup both of these, so I also bought a Belkin KVM, which is designed specifically to work with the MacMini and either another Mac or a PC.

Unfortunately of course, the iMac doesn't use a monitor - it is all in one piece.

My question is - can I attach the KVM to the external graphics port of the iMac (assuming I get an adapter for the tiny connector) and then see the picture from the MacMini on the screen of the iMac? It seems more likely that the graphics port on the iMac is output only. However, there isn't room for the iMac and an external monitor - and the picture on the iMac is far better than the one on my external monitor anyway.

I know I can remote to my MacMini on the iMac (doing that now), but I needed access to both machines to do that. If the KVM is not going to work, then is there anyway to run the MacMini remotely without any screen attached?

I know the iMac is far superior to the MacMini, but I don't really want to just stop using the MacMini just because I can't fit a monitor for it onto my desktop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The graphics port on the iMac is an output - as you suspect. It's use would be for hooking up a projector to display a Powerpoint slide presentation on a large screen. Or some other similar purpose. KVM won't work.

Running the mini remotely? Do you mean as in a common network with your iMac? If so, you should be able to do that without an additional monitor since you would be able to "see" its hard drive and run programs direct from the mini on your iMac.

I've seen small LCD monitors (12" to 14") which can be placed on top of the mini, however, I'm not sure if they're still being sold. The other option is to buy a bigger desk. :(

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It doesn't let me connect with the 'connect as' option - only if I ask permission - which means I have to be able to get to the other machine to do that.

My Windows PC does the same. Could it be because my accounts all have blank passwords? Is a real password essential for remote connections between machines on the same local network? If I set a password, will the machines still login automatically to the default account when they startup?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if this thread helps somewhat. The setup is basically the same between your PC and iMac - iMac to Mac mini. If this doesn't help, post back and we'll look for some more examples. What you probably really need is to have the PC, iMac, and mini all on the same network sharing files, and controlling everything from the iMac.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

Regards.

Reaction score
I always thought it would be super cool to mod a PSone screen to work with a Mac Mini. The resolution is probably way too low, but still a neat idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.