Intel support for 10.4 server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Hi
I have a copy of OSX server 10.4. It is the original release, and claims support for only G3, G4 and G5 Computers. A look around revealed that the 10.4.7 update brought support for intel processors. However, it was a different disk release.

My question is, if I install server 10.4, and update it to 10.4.7, will that add intel support? The FAQ on apples site isn't clear on the subject.

If so, can I install 10.4. on a power mac, update it, and then use net install to push it onto an intel machine?

If not, how can I get intel support? Would I have to repurchase the software?

Thanks

-ST-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I have to say no for the following reason. Since the disc is compiled for a PPC processor and not universal like say my Leopard DVD, it will not install onto an Intel system as the OS won't know what to do with an x86 processor. It simply won't go in....I apologize.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Thanks nbrowser.

Yeah, I kinda forgot about that. I actually had this problem last year with another piece of software.

Oh well. It'll still work. It just slightly limits the power of the machine I can put the server on.

I was hoping I could get an intel mac mini to run the server.

Still, that's my problem now.

Thanks a lot

-ST-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.