Dead LCD monitor

Reaction score
I have a Proview 22 in monitor, model PL2230WDB which seems to have died.
The power button slowly blinks blue and the screen stays dark.
I've tried it on several different computers so it's not the video card.
The ONLY thing I've found online is something about changing some capacitors on the power board.
Did that, no joy. Don't really want to send it in and there's nowhere close that could check it out.
Of course it's warranty is up.

Does anyone know anything about these monitors? Is there some kind of reset magic with the switches?
Or am I just SOL? I have another 20 in connected so it's not an emergency or anything.
Bought it as a replacement. Would be nice to have both connected tho. :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a shot in the dark here (no pun intended), but did you by chance check to see if the backlight was OK? Some LCD monitors will act exactly as you describe if the backlight goes out. Very often the backlight is the first thing to fail.

Also:

If you can get hold of a schematic for the monitor which will give you voltage readouts across the power supply, you may be able to check them to see if the monitor is receiving power.

Regards.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
There are specs for voltage printed on the circuit board.
How exactly does one check the backlight?
And is it really worth fixing/replacing?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I don't believe it's the backlight since you noted that the power light blinks instead of staying steady. Typically, with a bad backlight, the monitor will function normally, but there will be no obvious image on the screen. That is, unless you look closely in direct light - you'll still see that the monitor is operating it's just that there's nothing to illuminate the image. It's kind of like using a first generation Game Boy in the dark. In those cases, you need either a new inverter or CCFL tube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Please take this the correct way but if you have to ask the above questions then you are not really qualified to be messing about with the power supply! If my memory serves me correctly this is a consumer LCD display which is not exactly expensive. Do you really want to risk your life over it?

I am not being funny but I am qualified and I have still made mistakes and ended up getting a major jolt. Mains power is not to be taken lightly.

If however you are talking about a low voltage power board then by all means continue :)

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Not taking it the wrong way but just to let you know, I've built power supplies from scratch for other projects. Mostly regulated 12v, 3 to 10 amp to power radios. Been zapped before too.

Was asking here in case it might be something on the video board which I don't know anything about. Haven't checked any voltages yet because the way it's put together, I'd need about 5 hands to hold things up and away and not sure it's really worth the trouble.

From what I read, it might be a problem with sleep mode. However when it's in sleep, the light turns orange. Right now it just blinks blue.
Thanks for the replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.