• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro -v- Final Cut Express

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro 17"
Hello all,

I am new to the Mac world (about 8 months now) and still learning:) . Even though learning is going slow some times I don't have any urge to go back to PC's and Windows Nightmare's.O:)
Anyway on to my question.

1) Can some one please tell me what the difference is between
"Final Cut Pro 5" and "Final Cut Express 4."

2)Is there a difference between
"Final Cut Express HD" and "Final Cut Express 4". Or is "Express 4" and "Express HD" the same program?

The difference between Pro and Express has to more then just more Filters and Transitions.
I think I read, (but not sure) that one of the differences is, that it's easier to work with footage from multi cameras with Pro.

The reason I am asking is, I have "Express HD", and I am editing more videos now then I was about 4 months ago. I am considering buying Pro 5.
But I wanted to know the main differences between the two. I have tried to look up web site after web site in hopes of finding some kind of info one the three program. But I guess I am looking in the wrong places.

I know the answer to my question might be a long one, so if any one could point me in the right direction to a web site with the info, that would be awesome too.

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.
Final Cut pro has way more options for DVD titles, DVD burning options, Compression options. better for multi camera use. final cut pro is way more indepth and extremely deep. If you get it, read the manuals and maybe even pick up a pro series training book from a book store because otherwise its confusing as ****. I hardly know how to use it, I didn't need it but bought it becasue with my student discount it was only a little more than express. sometimes I think express would be easier for what I want to do but its still good to have.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro 17"
Thanks for the info!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.