Im in a predicament about notebooks

Reaction score
I've decided to get a mac notebook. I just went to the mac store and looked at both the macbook and the macbook pro. I can't decide which one to get. The difference in price is very small. The weight is pretty much the same the size is barely different so both are portable. The thing which is holding me back is the pro keyboard. I really like the spaced out keys on the MB. But i like the backlit keys on MBP.

To those with experience with macbooks. IS the pro keyboard easy to type on? My first impressions tell me that the MB is better for it.

I'm also tempted on the MBP as i dont want to buy another notebook for at least 3 years and if i get the better one i have no reason to upgrade and have the option with graphics card and video editing even though i dont need it at the moment.

any help in swaying me much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
I have used both MB and MBP (and for more than one day ...) I would say i like the MB keyboard best, if i had to choose between these two. Still i would select the MBP because of the graphics card and the possibillity to get a bit faster CPU. And the bigger screen of course.

My 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I was actually in your position back when I was shopping for a Mac and it also came down to the keyboard in making my decision. I really liked the Macbook's chiclet style keyboard over the very cramped Macbook Pro keyboard and that essentially sealed the deal for me.

OP
davenz
Reaction score
also i think i should add that i can get them both for the same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
The keyboards are exactly the same width and height, you may think the Macbook Pro keyboard looks small or cramped, but it really isn't. I like typing on my Apple Wired Keyboard (which utilizes the same style keys as the Macbook) and I like the Macbook Pro keyboard as well. I think I acutally like the feel of the Macbook Pro's keyboard over the individual chicklet style keys, its close though. Basically, don't base your purchase on the keyboard is what I would have to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
I almost let the chicklet keys sway my decision as well. I ended up opting for the MBP for the video card, but I signed up for a student ADC membership, so I got an extra $250 off (or so). With that extra cash, I bought a wireless keyboard, so I ended up getting both keyboards in the end! I'm brand new to Apple, and had never typed on either keyboard. Both feel great, but the chicklet has more of a "click" feel, where the MBP is more of a "press"... not sure if I'm just making this up or not haha!

OP
davenz
Reaction score
oh and btw when i say the same price, the MB is 4gm ram, 250gb HD as to MBP 2gb ram 200gb HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You could save a ton of money by buying the least amount of RAM from Apple and then upgrading it yourself for a fraction of the price.

Reaction score
well i had a MB for a while and i really liked the keyboard, but i needed that feeling of having the best of the best, so i opted for the MBP and im loving it and the keyboard, ive come to love it so much, even more so than the MB's Chiclet style

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I think that the backlit keyboard is so clutch personally. Being that right now im sitting outside and its dark lol.

Also the MBP has firewire 800 where as the MB does not and that's what sealed the deal for me. Being that i will be using this PC for DJing and stuff where i will need fast transfer rates this was key for me.

Its the little differences like the backlit keyboard that really make you thank yourself later for for going with the MBP but that's just me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i loved the macbook keys untill i upgraded to a pro i still think the macbook keys are really nice and wish u can fit them on a pro but the pro i have now is very nice very fast grate for graphics and video work its just a better choice over the standerd macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I have a PowerBook (which uses the MacBook Pro-type keyboard) and I love the keyboard. It's the best notebook keyboard I've ever worked with. I can't stand the MacBook keyboard, with its gaps between keys. YMMV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.