Help for new Ibook owner!

Reaction score
Evening all.

Not sure where this should be posted so please forgive me.

I have bought an ibook for pittance as the guy I bought it off said he didn't know how to work it and that he couldn't get it to work.

I have only ever worked with PC's so thought it would be pretty easy to work out what was going on.

I have since found out I don't have a clue!!!!

When the ibook boots it gets to a screen saying

searching for the Macintosh Management Server - (can't find server on network.)

i have 3 buttons pick server, finder and shut down. pick server and finder both require a username and password

The is a little toolbar at the bottom of the screen showing Airport signal, battery life, colours, screen res, quick time links, sound etc.....

Do you guys know if I can somehow wipe this and install Mac OS to use as a laptop for web browsing?

any help gratefully appreciated!

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have bought an ibook ... When the ibook boots it gets to a screen saying ... pick server and finder both require a username and password ... Do you guys know if I can somehow wipe this and install Mac OS to use as a laptop for web browsing?

You certainly can, providing you have the OS X install disks that came with the machine. The seller should have provided those with the iBook, but if not, go back to him and try to obtain them. You need the right disks for that model of machine too, not just 'borrowed' ones from some other Mac user.

With the original install disks, insert Disk 1, reboot the iBook and hold down the C key until the startup screen shows the grey apple. You should also hear the disk drive spinning as the boot disk loads the necessary install items.

There's a clearly laid out process shown in the installation prompts. From what you've posted, you require Erase & Install, which will wipe the iBook hard disk of ALL previous system and other items. Are you sure you want that, because you'll lose all software that was on the iBook.

Otherwise choose Archive & Install, which will put a new System in place - and hence get rid of that annoying network issue - but keep all the other software intact.

Oh, and welcome to the world of Mac. Enjoy :).

OP
H
Reaction score
You certainly can, providing you have the OS X install disks that came with the machine. The seller should have provided those with the iBook, but if not, go back to him and try to obtain them. You need the right disks for that model of machine too, not just 'borrowed' ones from some other Mac user.

This is where I may come unstuck.

All I have is the ibook and the charger. Oh well pittance down the drain then.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
This is where I may come unstuck. All I have is the ibook and the charger.

Not necessarily. The installation disks for the iBook may be readily available from online auction sites, through forums like this (and similar); also Apple itself. Shop around, advertise. There are a significant number of success stories about restoring 2-hand computers, and an iBook is a good resource.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Cheers

Nah, if all else fails I'll pay you a pittance + postage ;D

OP
H
Reaction score

Cheers

All is not lost!! :D

I got my hands and a copy of panther? 10.3?

Installed it fine and it runs!!! Woo Hoo:D

But my god its slow :Oops:

Only has 128mb of memory including base and added stick.

Think I need to be on the lookout for more. About £30 for a 512 stick on ebay it seems. Any idea if I can get it any cheaper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All is not lost!! I got my hands on a copy of panther? 10.3? Installed it fine and it runs!!! Woo Hoo:D Only has 128mb of memory including base and added stick. Any idea if I can get it any cheaper?

Good one! So what model of iBook is it? When that's established, go to http://www.everymac.com to check the RAM specs.

I know prices are pretty high in Britain, but £30 seems too much. Without knowing which iBook you have, I can't tell you how much RAM it will take, but once you've got the specs sorted, try OWC http://www.macsales.com/ for good prices. Other reputable brands of RAM include Crucial and Kingston, so shop around in your locality for prices on those. Don't be afraid of buying used RAM either. Just make sure it's been tested.

Another thing - Panther or OS 10.3.9 is a good OS, but Tiger OS 10.4.xx is better, except that you'll have to buy it, you can't 'upgrade' from Panther to Tiger without paying for the privilege. Again, once you've got the model of iBook established, check that everymac site or Mactracker for the best OS for that machine.

L0F

Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old thread but, can i run tiger on my ibook? i'm on a 600mhz 128mb ibook. I am looking to upgrade my ram very soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.