Screen black after coming out of sleep

Reaction score
Yea I know there was another thread like this made a couple months back (I did my searching) but it's not been posted in since march and didn't help at all regardless.

Running Mac OSX 10.5.2 (Leopard)

Uh, I don't know what other kind of information might be helpful other than I'm not nor have I ever been running any version of iStat which was something that was highlighted in the previous thread.

This has only been happening recently (this month) and I just replaced my power cord and adapter this past week but it was acting up before that.

I can hear the eject sound when I open the lid and no it's not my screen brightness, I've tried. I eventually run out of ideas before having to hard reset and I really hate doing that.

I'm downloading 5 new updates as I speak and going to reboot in a moment but I won't know if this is my fix or not until I need to close up.

I appreciate any suggestions and all help you guys throw my way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
sorry carnt help but i get the same problem snormail i just close it for 10 min and its ok and sum times not

OP
K
Reaction score
Well thanks for at least acknowledgment. Guess this is a slow forum.

If no one else knows I might just have to talk it up with Apple tech support or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yeah, I'd call Apple.

Have you tried shining a bright light on the screen to double check?

OP
K
Reaction score
Well if it was my screen brightness then the button would work, since I can press other buttons. I mean, I can even shut down the computer properly considering I know that when I tap the power button, the shut down options come up and the "Shut Down" button is already highlighted so I just have to hit enter and there it goes.

But I might just give apple a call anyway since my warranty might not yet be up. Which is nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I mean there's a difference between the screen just not working at all and the screen working, but not being backlit, so you can't see anything. If you shine a bright light on it and still can't see a thing it's just not working, if you can see something it's the backlight not working, regardless of buttons.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ohhh right. I didn't think of that. I'll have to try it next time it happens then. Even then, that's still a problem that needs to be fixed right? Or is there a solution to that I can make by tinkering around in the display settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it'd still need to be fixed, but you'd know what was wrong! Also, if it works normally the rest of the time it sounds more like a software issue... if it were a hardware fault it probably wouldn't be happening at such specific times or your screen wouldn't be working at all.

Call Apple, they should know what to do.

OP
K
Reaction score
Alright. Cool. I'll give it a try next time and see what comes of it, and then give Apple a ring and hopefully they can help out.

Thanks for the help!

OP
K
Reaction score
Oh!

Great, thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see if that helps! I haven't gotten around to calling Apple yet and I probably should before my warranty expires just in case this doesn't help.

Thanks for posting it!

Reaction score
Well thanks for at least acknowledgment. Guess this is a slow forum.

If no one else knows I might just have to talk it up with Apple tech support or something.

Just bumped into your thread and we have this problem all the time at work. I don't think anything is particularly wrong with your hardware I think its a software issue. I am fairly certain of this because if I plug in the MBP while its sleeping to an external monitor/keyboard etc it has done the same black screen. Another work around that works some of the time for me is plugging in an external monitor with the lid closed, open the lid then unplug the monitor, it usually makes it come right back to life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.