Won't Power On!

Reaction score
I have a Macbook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo that has suffered a 6 inch drop a couple months ago but lived. The keyboard was cracked a few weeks later. Periodically, the keyboard input would drop completely. Resetting the SMC did not alleviate this. I opened up the Macbook today, replaced an inoperable CD/DVD drive, reassembled the machine, reset the SMC and now it won't power on!

The thing is, I'm sure there are many points of failure here so I'm trying to narrow down the cause. Is it possible that the keyboard is inoperable and thus cannot power on the machine? Or perhaps the Logic Board finally went kaput after suffering its fall.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I need this laptop up and running ASAP!

OP
A
Reaction score
FTR: I also tried powering it on with the battery alone, the AC adapter alone and the two of them together to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
andyownzuf00,

Sure looks like some kind of failure mode, doesn't it?... on most computers if the keyboard isn't connected, it won't boot until connected. Is it possible you disconnected the keyboard input today when you had it apart?

Here's a site that has instructions on changing parts, etc. Perhaps you could use it to do some trouble shooting, knowing what you know. Check out keyboard replacement to start: http://www.ifixit.com/

Good luck,

Noel

EDIT: This page shows the keyboard connection : http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Core-Duo/Lower-Case/86/28/Page-5/Upper-Case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
andyownzuf00,

You could try to run Mac's Tech Tool to check your hardware and failure modes. If you don't have it (normally comes with Apple Care) you can download it here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17300

Hope this helps you figure the problem out.

Noel

OP
A
Reaction score
The machine can't even power on, so I don't think that booting up into a TechTool image would work very well.

: (

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
andyownzuf00,

Sorry, I didn't re-read the entire thread, so forgot you couldn't boot. My bad!

I think at this point you may need a complete re-assessment of your machine. Maybe take it to a savvy computer guy or shop? Or just use some of those iFixit charts to do a complete tear down and rebuild... Or get an estimate from an Apple Store?

Right now I can see we're both shooting in the dark, but when there are multiple failure modes, answers aren't easy, as you know!

I hope you can find a better answer than I've been able to give you...

Let me know how you do...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.