Itunes + Time Capsule

Reaction score
Hello,

We recently bought a 1TB Time capsule for the house and put all of our Music onto it. Now we have about 650GB of music of the Capsule. Is there a way to play the music on our laptops without Itunes trying to copy over the music each time. We tried one time to add the songs and itunes started to copy over the whole DB, which we don't want. We want to play music on the laptop but not have to copy files over each time. Isn't there a way for itunes to keep the music on the hard drive and play it without copying it over?

Also this doesn't have to do with the Time Capsule but more for itunes. We have a roommate who is running OS 10.3 still (tried to get the to upgrade, but they wont). How do we set their itunes to share. We can always see are computers on her's, but we never see her's on ours. All of her settings are Set for sharing. Is there something else that need's to be done in 10.3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Unless you drag and drop to the backup, where it remains as a single file, I would doubt it. I prefer the drag and drop method. I have watched a movie on the backup drive, and it only brought it over, nothing else.

Best bet, is to bring it all back, then do a drag and drop type of backup. Then you can choose the music you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Somewhere in the preferences for iTunes you can tell it not to copy to the iTunes folder when importing, then add the file with all the music to the library. You might need to open up a Finder window with the TC to get it to spin up or iTunes (rather daftly) says it can't find em (in my experience with my TC).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.