Will I need to reinstall Fusion and XP after upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm currently running OSX 10.4 and have just bought the 10.5 upgrade. I'm planning to do an Archive and Install upgrade. Will I need to reinstall Fusion and XP afterwards or will these be unchanged. My iMac is relatively new (9 months old), would a simple upgrade installation be a safe, hassle free way to go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You may need to reinstall fusion, but the virtual XP hard drive will remain in your ~/Documents/Virtual Machines folder.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks but I'm not sure I understand. Surely as Fusion had to be installed in order to load XP I'm not at all sure how XP could remain without Fusion. Or do I still need to reinstall XP after reinstalling Fusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
a virtual machine is just a series of files. You can actually just copy those files to another computer and it would work just fine and dandy. Actually, used to do that all the time using ESX servers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
If you look in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines (the default location for Fusion) you should see your XP virtual machine represented by a single file with the same name of your XP VM when you launch it through Fusion.

Fusion installs core components to communicate with hardware at the hypervisor level which allows the virtual machine to access the hardware directly. These files may get deleted or overwritten with a 10.4 to 10.5 upgrade.

Archive and install will preserve all user data in your home folder, including the Virtual Machines directory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.