2nd Hand Macbook - Should I buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
A friend from work is selling his Macbook and I am wondering if I should buy it or not.

I think its a 1st Generation

White Macbook
2 GHZ processor
Intel Core Duo
1gb RAM
100GB HDD
Leopard

But comes with no disks (I do have a leopard disk for my mac pro, can I used this to re install OSX or do I need a new disk?)

Charger and Case

Bluetooth
Airport

He is asking for £250 ($500)

I had a go on it today and it all seems good. Anything I should be looking out for? Any tests I can do to make sure everything is stable?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Except for the no discs part, pretty good deal. I'd go for it.
As for the discs, I think you would have to use either a specific Macbook disc or a retail (i.e., one that isn't tied to any computer) Leopard disc. The Mac Pro disc may work, but results vary ;)

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
I'd have his arm off mate.

I bought my macbook off ebay for £240 and the case is scratched and it needed a new optical drive.
And I thought that was a bargain for 1.83 ghz. machine.

Since I bought it, I've put 2gb ram in it, a superdrive and I have literally just finished putting a 320gb drive in it.

Even if you decide you don't like it, you'll make money on it.

And I'm called Joe too ;)

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
thats for the advice guys. I might get a bigger hard drive and more RAM. how easy is this to fit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For fitting ram and the hard drive see
www.ifixit.com
It's the guide I used and it was pretty **** easy.

Reaction score
Hey JK I also just wanted to say thanks for the ifixit.com site. It's really going to be put to good use from me. Thanks!

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No probs matey.

It's certainly helped me alot.

I'll just say, when your prting out the connector for the keyboard. Be REALLY careful.
I broke mine but managed to do a bifty bit of soldering and fixed it :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I bought one just like that it was just black and had the 120GB HD and I upgraded it to 2GB ram, but did u notice any screen flickering on that macbook? I've noticed mine has been doing it lately but its out of warranty so not much I can do really. Also check to see if you can send and receive things through bluetooth as some of the macbooks have a disappearing bluetooth problem which mine also has every-time I try to send something to my phone bluetooth disappears from my mac for about 30 mins and if i try to repeat sending, it disappears again

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it for £200 in the end - bargain! spent £87 for new 320gb HDD and 2 GB of ram. As soon as thats arrived I will get it all setup and ready.

Next step is sync. I want me iphoto, DVDpedia, iTunes, calender, address book and certain folders to be the same on both my macbook and macpro. I can use mobileme for my email, address book and calender but what about the other things I would like to keep in sync? They are not on the same network at mo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.