iPhone 3G crash when installing update, now stuck on boot screen!

Reaction score
I updated one of the applications installed on my iPhone 3G while connected to a 3G network, and while the app update was being downloaded/installed, the phone completely and brought me back to the Apple Logo on the startup screen, WHERE IT NOW APPEARS TO BE COMPLETELY STUCK WITH NO APPARENT WAY TO GET PAST THIS LOGO BOOT SCREEN!!

I've tried force quitting by holding the Home+Power buttons for 6 seconds, waiting a while, then pressing the power button again to start the phone back up - NO LUCK...IT REMAINS STUCK ON THE LOGO BOOT SCREEN

I've tried getting the iPhone into recovery mode by holding the Home+Power buttons for 6 seconds till the phone restarts, at which point I let go of the power button and continue holding the home button and then wait for the 'connect to itunes' graphic to appear - NO LUCK...IT REMAINS STUCK ON THE LOGO BOOT SCREEN

I've tried both of the above restart/restore procedures with, and without, the iPhone connected to my computer...I've even left the phone off for an hour to 'chill out', after which powering it back on again simply brings me to the same logo boot screen!!

I AM TOTALLY STUCK HERE, AND I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR RESTORING MY PHONE TO A NORMAL WORKING STATE!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Reaction score
I have the same problem!!! and my best friend as well!!! we installed the upgrades from cydia rebooted and the iphone is dead! i just sea the apple!!! and it reboots after a while.. i tried to remove the watchdog.. the latest installed apps. even cydia from the application folder but the phone won't boot!!! is there any way to fix it without restoring again?!!!

Reaction score
Whilst trying to install system updates onto my iphone 3G, my mac laptop backed up the iphone and then when it went to install the updates it said that an unknown error had occured and it didnt install, now my phone will not turn on, when i try it just comes up with a picture of the itunes logo with a cord pointing at it. i assume this means to connect the phone to itunes, however, when i do, it doesnt read the iphone and it just stays on this screen. how do i fix it and get it back to normal????

Reaction score
As suggested. Plug the USB cable in to the iPhone. Hold down the button on the front. Plug in to your computer and keep holding until it goes in to recovery mode. I've had to do this a number of times after installing applications.

The last iPhone I had before upgrading to the 3Gs did this EVERY TIME I hard booted it. It was a real pain.

Reaction score
As suggested. Plug the USB cable in to the iPhone. Hold down the button on the front. Plug in to your computer and keep holding until it goes in to recovery mode. I've had to do this a number of times after installing applications.

The last iPhone I had before upgrading to the 3Gs did this EVERY TIME I hard booted it. It was a real pain.

I did this and it worked.
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
iPhone software update crash with Windows 7

Hi, I just bought an iPhone and was doing the registration with iTunes (9.0.3.15) on my windows 7 64-bit version, during the registration I was asked if I wanted to update the Software to the latest 3.1.x (not sure if it was 3.1.5 or something) which I did select. During the installation, the phone crashed and left the phone with a picture of apple icon with an installation bar (empty) underneath, it was impossible to get in touch with the phone again, could not turn it off or anything, I got the error message 0xE8000065 from iTunes.
I tried many things but did not find the solution through Google and I tried to call Apple in US to get a solution, they suggested me to hold the Home key while I attached the phone to the computer-USB cable, but nothing worked.
Finally I gave up and as a last thing I tried to hold down the Home key and press the power key for about 10 sec, and suddenly the phone showed the USB stick and the iTunes logo and the phone was alive again.. I had to restore and update the sw again, but this time I used an old computer with Windows XP 32-bit...
FYI, Apple US told me that Windows 7 64-bit have issues...
I hope this will help someone... ;D

Reaction score
Thank you for your help

Hi all

Thank you so much for all your help!! This forum helped me to fix my problems with my iphone as it had crashed on update.

Pressing the home key and the On/Off key at the same time helped me.

Thanks again

Shelley
Torrens Training & IT Services NI

Reaction score
Whilst trying to install system updates onto my iphone 3G, my mac laptop backed up the iphone and then when it went to install the updates it said that an unknown error had occured and it didnt install, now my phone will not turn on, when i try it just comes up with a picture of the itunes logo with a cord pointing at it. i assume this means to connect the phone to itunes, however, when i do, it doesnt read the iphone and it just stays on this screen. how do i fix it and get it back to normal????

Hi, I also have same problem, nut I have done keep holding home and power button but still it showing the same sceen itunes and USB connectivity.
Pls suggest....

Reaction score
Same problem

I'm having the same EXACT problem, any luck on resolving the issue? I have tried all the steps mentioned in this thread and nothing is working. Sorry for bumping such an old thread, google led me to this one. Thanks in advance for any relevant advice.

Reaction score
problem??

i tried most of times it..... can any one explain me what to do???? when, my itunes was not detecting my i phone3g coz of i update my iphone version..... but it could not properly installed... so thats why... itunes not detect my iphone... so thats why i reset my phone fully..... after that its stuck on boot ..and stuck on this line "interval to 5000 ms with mask 0x1700.....

can pls any one solve this problem...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.